Friday, March 16, 2018

Aches and Pains, Bowling,

Not a great day for me, spent a lot of time standing in the kitchen and that is not the best thing in the world for my back and/or legs. However, we did end up with Tomato Soup in the freezer and  Moroccan Stuffed Peppers for supper with some left for the weekend. It is a favourite recipe of ours and not really difficult to do.

Being unable to bowl yesterday, we ended up playing 3 games today. There were still a lot of kids but most of them were downstairs because there is a league playing upstairs. I was quite chuffed with the way I bowled (in case you wonder, I had taken some Tylenol 3 for a little relief). One of the guys from the league said I had a wicked ball. I agreed and said it was so wicked it didn't go where I wanted it to. Matt did not have a good day, he is still very much one of the walking wounded. One bowling friend asked me how I was, I complained about my back and she said hers had been playing her up all week. Maybe it's the weather.

Tomorrow Matt has to go for an assessment to see if he can get his driving license back. They took it away after he went into the hospital the second time in December when he was totally confused and maybe having a panic attack or something. We'll see.

I like the look of  this recipe but was not sure about obtaining Thai Sweet Chili Sauce so I found a recipe. which seems pretty easy to use.

Broiled Salmon with Thai Sweet Chili Glaze

1-1/2 lbs (or four 6-ounce pieces) salmon, skin on or off
6 Tbs Thai Sweet Chili Sauce (best quality, such as Mae Ploy or Thai Kitchen)
3 Tbs soy sauce (use gluten-free if needed)
1 Tbs peeled and finely grated fresh ginger
2 scallions, green parts only, finely sliced

1. Set the oven rack 5-6 inches from the top and preheat the broiler.

2. Make the marinade by combining the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and ginger in a shallow baking dish. Spoon 1/4 cup of the marinade into a small dish and set aside (this will be the sauce for the cooked fish). Add the salmon fillets, skin side up, to the remaining marinade and marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.

3. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the salmon fillets to the prepared baking sheet, skin side down, and drizzle a bit of the marinade over top. Go easy -- you don't want it to pool too much on the baking sheet because it will burn in the oven. Broil the salmon for 6-10 minutes, or until browned in spots and almost opaque in the center. Transfer the salmon to a serving platter and pour the reserved sauce over top. Garnish with scallions and serve.

Servings: 4

Author: Jennifer Segal
Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day and a great weekend.
 

13 comments:

  1. Hope he can get his license back.
    Salmon with Thai glaze - now that sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried the Thai version of sweet chili sauce. I am guessing it has more heat. I love salmon. One of my cooking instructors said to always add the sugary sauces nearer the end on cooking to prevent burning under the broiler. Since the fillets already are marinated, I think that is what I would do. Sounds good.
    When it comes to how I feel, this winter weather is not my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not actually tried a sweet chili sauce of any kind Denise so this will be a new one for me. But I agree with your cooking instructor.

      Winter doesn't usually bother me, but things change I guess.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a good bowling day but I'm surprised you could function on Tylenol 3. That has codeine in it. That used to knock me out....now it makes me hallucinate which is not fun. Good luck to Matt! Hope he can get his license back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been taking codeine for migraines since before you were born JoJo. Doesn't have a lot of effect on either of us.

      Thanks, he didn't.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jo - love the idea of the stuffed peppers ... so might do that myself today - well similar! I certainly hope Matt has a better day re his licence - good luck ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious Hilary, one of the best Stuffed Pepper recipes I have ever used.

      Unfortunately he didn't.

      Delete
  5. I just printed out that recipe. Not sure what kind of Thai sauce we have on the shelf, but hopefully it's close enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think you ate salmon Diane or is it for your hubby?

      Delete
  6. Sorry that it wasn't a great day for you, Jo.

    Much luck to Matt.

    ReplyDelete