Thursday, November 16, 2017

Battle of the Mac and Cheese, Partial Cooking Day.

Having one-upped Bryan of A Beer for the Shower about Macaroni Cheese, we then got a recipe from Denise Hammond of Life in Retirement and I figure she one-upped the pair of us with her Lobster Macaroni and Cheese. I have always been a lobster lover - I  used to say "show me a lobster and I will follow you anywhere". Don't get to eat it much any more as it is so expensive. Denise says she started using fake lobster in her dish (they actually make that from Pollock) and nobody noticed.

My planned big cooking day didn't really work. I had bought a couple of artichokes for me so cooked them whilst I ate breakfast. I then spent most of the morning making the Moroccan Style Stuffed Peppers but for some reason I was feeling unwell most of the day, combination dizziness, faintness, etc. (yes I think I know why and nothing serious but unpleasant). So really didn't feel up to making the Pho as well. Matt did a couple of things for me - he usually dries dishes for me which helps a lot. I went down to exercise class but couldn't take a lot of advantage from it today. Had two of the peppers for supper and shortly before, I decided to make the Chinese Braised Red Cabbage dish as well. Thursday, of course, is bowling - hope there are no chatterboxes. There shouldn't be. Not on a Thursday.

Having bought a load of chicken thighs to make Pho Ga, I have more thighs than I need. Conveniently I came across this recipe today.

Chimichurri Chicken Thighs with Potatoes

An herb and chile-packed chimichurri sauce makes this meat-and-potatoes main vibrant and exciting. Double the mixture, and spoon over grilled steak or fish on another night. Use your microwave to jumpstart the potatoes, then crisp them up in the drippings from the cooked chicken thighs for maximum flavor. Fresno chiles have a medium heat, just slightly more mild than a jalapeƱo. You can use either here, or substitute a generous pinch of crushed red pepper in the chimichurri. Skinless, boneless thighs can vary widely in size. Shop by weight rather than count,
cutting larger thighs in half if needed.

2 Tbs water
12 oz fingerling potatoes, halved
5 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, divided
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lb.)
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
3/4 tsp black pepper, divided
1 red Fresno chile, halved crosswise
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 Tbs chopped shallots
2 garlic cloves

1. Place 2 tablespoons water and potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave at HIGH 4 minutes or until almost tender.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan; keep warm.

3. Cut half of chile into thin slices; finely chop remaining half. Add potatoes and chile slices to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.

4. Place chopped chile, parsley, cilantro, shallots, and garlic in a mini food processor; pulse to combine. Add remaining 3 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, and juice; process until smooth. Serve with chicken and potatoes.

Servings: 4
Yield: 2 thighs, 1/2 cup potato mixture, and 2 tbsp. cilantro mixture

 Source: Cooking Light

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry you felt unwell.
    Not a big fan of lobster. I don't like my food staring back at me. And we use fake crab in dishes. I'm certainly not spending an hour cracking open real crab. Too much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I used to love the crabs we got in NC but they were a lot of work. Matt is the same as you, couldn't be bothered to work on them. But they taste so wonderful when you get the flesh. Of course the bigger crabs like snow or Dungeness are much easier.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. Had chicken thighs in the freezer last week and made chicken curry. Sometimes I get tired and just have yogurt and granola for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, thanks Denise. I wish I could get away with yogurt and granola.

      Delete
  3. I love lobster but not sure I would want it in the mac and cheese. I hope you are feeling better. It sounds like you are getting used to new medication. Dizziness sucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be pretty good Birgit. However, if I did get hold of some lobster, I don't think I would waste it on mac and cheese. It sure does suck.

      Delete
  4. Russell's hoping to get some lobster pots in the Canal once he's in better shape. Too bad you don't live here...we could give them to you for free once he starts that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I want to move back to the States near you JoJo. If only. Not just that you live in such an attractive area and being from a small island, we love the sea.

      Delete
  5. I hope you get to feeling better, soon. Tim would LOVE lobster mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivy. You should try getting some fake lobster and making it for him.

      Delete
  6. I hope you are feeling better. I get just like that right before I get a cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes thanks Pinky, I am pleased to say I never get colds, lots of other things but at least not that.

      Delete