Monday, October 2, 2017

Sunday Night.

Not a lot to say tonight (Sunday) Poldark started it's 3rd season and of course I had to watch it. I watched the whole of season 2 but never saw season 1. I must say, I do wish Ross Poldark would shave. He doesn't look the gentleman he is supposed to be and it was not fashionable, in those days, to sport the unshaven look.

Monday is league bowling, I seem to have lost what I had recently so need to try and get it back. I was bowling so well for a while.

Can't believe it's now October and the sun has been shining merrily all day. Mind you, Friday when I was at exercise class we had one heck of a storm. It began by chucking down large hail stones, and they were pretty large I can assure you. Then the heavens opened and the rain came down extremely hard. It didn't last that long and by the time our class was over, it was brilliant sunshine again. Supposed to be fairly high temps again this week.

I'm always looking for pork tenderloin recipes and this one appealed to me.

Pork Tenderloin with Golden Beets

We love the easy walnut sauce that goes with this pork tenderloin. Make it up to a week ahead to go alongside another fast weeknight meal; just store in a jar and chill.

¼ cup walnuts
3 Tbs plus ½ cup olive oil
1 ½ lbs pork tenderloin
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
3 medium golden beets, scrubbed, cut into bite-size pieces
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups sauerkraut, plus ½ cup brine
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
½ cup dry white wine
4 Tbs fresh lemon juice, divided
½ cup finely chopped mint
½ cup finely chopped parsley
¼ cup finely chopped dried tart apricots

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until golden brown, 7–10 minutes. Let cool, then chop.

2. Heat 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Season pork loin (look for one with a nice dark color and some fat on it) with salt and cook until browned on all sides, 10–15 minutes. Transfer pork to a platter.

3. Add onions and beets to same skillet and cook, stirring often, until onions are slightly translucent and browned, 10–12 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, sauerkraut, brine, broth, wine, and 2 Tbsp. lemon juice and bring to a simmer. Cover skillet, reduce heat to low, and cook until beets are fork-tender, 25–30 minutes.

4. Return pork to skillet and push down into liquid. Turn heat up to medium and simmer, uncovered, turning meat occasionally until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of loin registers 150°, 20–30 minutes. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

5. Meanwhile, mix walnuts, mint, parsley, apricots, remaining 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and remaining ½ cup oil in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.

6. Spoon beet mixture onto plates and arrange sliced pork on top. Spoon a generous amount of walnut sauce over.

Servings: 4

Author: Brad Leone
Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - glad you're having warm Fall weather (for now) - those sharp showers always amaze. The pork dish sounds delicious ... and that walnut sauce extra good! Good luck with the bowling - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say Hilary, for now. Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  2. WE need rain here. It is supposed to rain on Wednesday. If not, I need to water - again. I saw the first season of Poldark and could not get into it. Are you watching Alias Grace on the CBC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that rain we had would have done much good Denise, too heavy, to sharp and too short. Well of course I never saw season 1 but having watched the repeat of 2, I enjoyed it. No, not watching CBC, can't stand the advertising. Drives us up the wall.

      Delete
    2. That's why I DVR everything. Some shows have six straight minutes of commercials. I could go take a shower!

      Delete
    3. My DVD player doesn't record Denise. I have a VCR which does, but just don't bother any more. As I say, I don't watch much TV and Matt isn't really interested in series/serials.

      Delete
  3. I always laugh when I see a show set in a particular historical period and the characters look fashionable... for now. I have a feeling Poldark would have been seen as homeless back then, not dashing like today. Oh well.

    And I'm envious of your warm weather. Autumn hit us hard. Instantly the weather dropped 20-30 degrees, and it's been cold, dark, and dreary every single day for weeks now. A bit of sun would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are very right Bryan, homeless. The scenes at their "dining" table are somewhat unsuitable for a purported "gentleman".

      Still nice although coolish.

      Delete
  4. We didn't get any rain. I hate the heat and wish it would just stay cold. I have taped Poldark and am looking forward to watching this. I never thought of it but you're right...he needs a shave but he does look sexy even if he was an ass to his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprised you didn't get any Birgit. I actually like this weather, to me it's not too hot or cold.

      They made up at the end of the last season though.

      Delete