Thursday, September 7, 2017

Hurricanes, Supper, Costco

I am writing this on Wednesday morning and all I am hearing is about Irma and what a really bad storm it is. Now a Category 5. But - there's another one behind it, Jose. However, from the storm track it looks as though it will miss the mainland. Hurricanes happen every year of course, but they don't always visit the States. I would also point out that they are getting stronger due to global warming which I am informed doesn't exist.

Wednesday night I cooked Chicken and Mushroom Skillet in a Creamy Asiago and Mustard Sauce which I posted the other day. It was delicious, but I did think I should have cooked a green vegetable with it. I also had trouble getting the chicken cooked right through, probably because I think my chicken was bigger than the 6 oz specified. It turns out the calories for the actual dish as posted are 384 per serving so not as bad as I feared.

We went to Costco in the afternoon after my exercise class (wish I could say our class) and bought chicken, just as well or I wouldn't have had enough for the chicken skillet above. We bought lamb chops and some fillet steaks which are absolutely huge and plenty in one steak for both of us. I do like Costco's meat. Actually I am quite pleased with myself, Costco is known as the $300 store round here - I came out at $125 so that was good. Repacking all the meat for the freezer was not so good.

This recipe comes from an article called Healthyish Cheese Dishes. Several of them looked really good including one with roasted plums. However, this one I thought I would try. I really enjoy endive.

Endive With Tart Apple Dressing And Blue Cheese

The dressing has virtually no oil in it, balancing acidity with the sweetness of apple juice and
fattiness of the cheese and nuts

Nut Salsa
½ cup pecans
½ cup finely crumbled Bayley Hazen Blue or other firm blue cheese
3 Tbs olive oil
2 tsp honey
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
¾ tsp gray sea salt or other coarse sea salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Dressing And Assembly
? cup apple juice
2 Tbs Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
¼ tsp fresh lemon zest, plus more for serving
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tsp olive oil
4 endive, preferably red, leaves separated

1. Nut Salsa

2. Preheat oven to 300°. Toast pecans on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing halfway through, until slightly darkened and fragrant, 12–15 minutes. Let cool. Toss in a medium bowl with blue cheese, oil, honey, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

3. Dressing and Assembly

4. Whisk apple juice, vinegar, lemon juice, oil, and ¼ tsp. lemon zest in a small bowl; season dressing with salt.

5. Toss endive in a large bowl with half of dressing; season with salt.

6. Divide nut salsa among plates and arrange salad on top. Spoon remaining dressing onto endive and grate some lemon zest over top to finish.

Servings: 4

Author: Flora Bar in NYC
Source: Bon Appétit

Have a great day

11 comments:

  1. I agree on the green vegetable. I find that sometimes I need to either pound the chicken breasts to an even size or else slice them in half through the thickest part of the breast into two smaller pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why I never thought of that Denise. Duuuh.

      Delete
  2. Looks like Irma will go straight up Florida, losing some of its force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will likely lose a lot of force overland Alex, but that won't help the coastal regions.

      Delete
  3. I have to pound the chicken breasts I get cause they are so tough and stringy nowadays. i get texture issues from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were basically just too thick JoJo. Should have sliced them in half.

      Delete
  4. Global warming has become like El Nino.

    We have a Sam's Club but we just didn't spend enough to justify membership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of which were funny Diane.

      I know, I used to shop there. If you don't buy much meat, which you obviously don't, it probably wouldn't be worth it, but you can get deals on a lot of other stuff, paper goods for a start, bathroom supplies like soaps, etc.

      Delete
  5. Your chicken dish looks very good, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good Linda. The second time I served it I added broccoli as a side dish which was better.

      Delete
  6. I have to pound the chicken breasts I get cause they are so tough and stringy nowadays. i get texture issues from it.


    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete