Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse to Balcony, Hair Salon, Bowling,

I understand that the traffic jams for people who travelled to see the eclipse are horrendous. I heard of one woman who travelled 20 hours to see it. In my opinion she is nuts. We sure didn't get any noticeable diminution of light here, too far away I guess. Not only that we had men crawling all over our balcony and dismantling scaffolding. I hadn't realised just how much light had been cut out by this scaffolding and the wood which was used for the concrete formers. Our balcony looks one heck of a mess with lots of bits and pieces and unused concrete etc. Still a fair amount of work to be done I guess. Another thing they did today was to grind the edges of the concrete. Glad I saw it so I could turn off the a/c. There was a heck of a lot of dust.

Today I am going to a new hairdresser for a hair cut. The couple we used to go to just disappeared without saying anything which I thought was rather odd. Matt has been there twice already but I haven't been there yet. But, boy do I ever need a cut. I hacked at some of it a few weeks ago and just have not had the time to go.

I meant to check whether the other bowling alley in town was open this week. Will have to do so this morning. If they are we will have to pick up our shoes and balls from our home alley.

I am always on the lookout for mushroom recipes. This sounded like a good one.

Mushroom Almond Paté

You can substitute walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts for the almonds
in this recipe with excellent results.

4 Tbs butter
1 onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
3/4 lb sliced mushrooms
1/2 tsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted

1. Heat the butter in a skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper until the onion is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Process the almonds in an electric blender or food  processor to make a paste. Add the mushroom mixture and process until smooth. Refrigerate until set.

2. Serve with bread, crackers, or pita bread.

Servings: 6-8

Source: WW Recipes

Have a great day
 

12 comments:

  1. Even though we were at 80% eclipse, it did not seem to darken. Lots of cloud cover here anyway. My son had the glasses and said he could see through the clouds with them. Heard that in 2024 Toronto will be in the path of a total eclipse. So you just have a few more years to wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the people who drove for hours were satisfied with what they saw. Interesting Denise, I hadn't heard that. 7 years is a long time at my time of life though!!

      Delete
    2. I watched the view from Clemson, SC on the Weather Channel. 100%. The effect when the moon started moving in the second half was stunning. It actually did look like a large diamond ring in the sky. I still wouldn't have driven very far though. The 2024 one will be 100% in Toledo, so maybe.

      Delete
    3. I actually haven't seen any of the TV pix Denise. Tomorrow night on PBS there is a Nova about eclipses, so maybe. 100% in Toledo and Toronto?

      Delete
    4. Interesting path in 2024 from San Antonio up to Toronto. Not sure where it goes from there.

      Delete
    5. It is an interesting path Denise. Sounds like it might pass overhead for us.

      Delete
  2. I just don't understand driving that far to see something like this. It's a big ho hum in my household. It looked like it was going to rain...that's all. I figured you would have to deal with a Ton of dust which sucks. Hopefully it will get better soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Birgit. 20 hours in particular is nuts. There was certainly a lot of dust but its not really been a problem. Just had to make sure the a/c was off. Today it's all banging (hammering).

      Delete
  3. I've experienced several eclipses of the sun. Not really very exciting I have to say but defintely an eerie light at its height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you Helen? I didn't think it would be that exciting and certainly would not have travelled to see it.

      Delete
  4. It definitely got dim here but overall it was pretty anticlimactic. I got some crescent pics through my colander as you probably saw on FB. I have a few friends who live where they got totality and their photos were incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get anything, that I was aware of anyway. Yes, saw your FB pix. PBS has a programme about the eclipse tonight.

      Delete