Monday, August 21, 2017

Eclipse, Bowling,

For those of you in the path of the eclipse today, do please be careful of  your eyes. A very short amount of exposure is damaging to them. I must admit I would not bother to travel to see the event. I gather they are expecting hundreds of people to do so. I think I might be nervous about driving home in case some of the 'viewers' had not properly protected their eyes and could no longer see well enough to drive home.

We will both be upset not to be able to bowl this week but they are re-surfacing the lanes which has to be done every year.There is just a slight possibility we might be able to bowl on Thursday. At least there is a possibility we might be able to go to Victoria Bowl.

The author of the following recipe started off by making a filling for pot stickers but, as he said, he spent another 45 minutes or so, after making this recipe, pleating the pastry for the pot stickers. He decided in future to just make the filling and eat it as is. I thought this was a good idea too and share the recipe with you.

Quinoa Cabbage Salad

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
2 cup cabbage
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup green onion
1/2 cup zucchini
3 Tbs soy sauce
3 Tbs rice wine vinegar
2 tsp natural cane sugar
2 tsp sesame oil

1. Place quinoa and water in a medium pot, bring to a boil, reduce, and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed.

2. While quinoa is cooking, in a pan, heat oil. Place carrots, green onions, and zucchini in pan and saute until vegetables are slightly tender. Add in cabbage and continue to saute until cabbage has cooked through and wilted slightly. Once vegetables are ready, stir in soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sugar. Continue to cook until liquid is almost gone, about 1-2 more minutes.

3. Stir vegetables into quinoa and serve right away.

Servings: 2

Source: Naturally Ella
Author: Erin Alderson

Have a great day
 

22 comments:

  1. My son made a box for Charlie to see the eclipse, but it is supposed to get cloudy here. I couldn't care less about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit the same Denise. Not that I really expect there will be too much to see anyway. Also, it is cloudy here too.

      Delete
  2. Hi Jo - I remember the partial eclipse in 1959 and remember standing outside on the hockey fields filtering our eyes with our jumpers - glad I didn't mess my eyes up - wonder how many kids did back then. I think it's a fascinating phenomenon - I was amazed by the 1999 one ...

    I often make things and eat as they are rather than filling or making pastry ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I remember it Hilary. I guess I was living in London at the time. Not really happening here anyway.

      Me too, this looked good.

      Delete
  3. You could watch live coverage on tv from NASA. I am getting it now on CSpan but NASA has a channel too, I guess. It is cloudy here too so this live viewing is pretty neat, in my opinion. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get either of those channels dynnamae. I guess we will see shots on the news tonight.

      Delete
  4. I am not looking at the eclipse at all but will check out the pictures on the news and my ex takes great pictures so he will post some. It will be interesting to see what everyone will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen any sign of it here Birgit. They did say we might see a partial eclipse but.... The news pictures will be interesting.

      Delete
  5. I'd much rather see professional photographs of the eclipse than try to look at it from my balcony. It's much less impressive from this far away.

    Also, I just bought some quinoa last week with the thought that I was going to finally cook some this week and try it out, once and for all. How did you know? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Bryan, apart from the crick in the neck you would get.

      I'm psychic of course. Didn't you try the salad I posted before, it was delicious. Last year I think.

      Delete
    2. No, quinoa's been one of those things I've been wimpy about. Wanted to make it, said I would, but never did. Now I'm finally buckling down. I have the quinoa sitting on my counter. Now I even have a recipe. Now I just need to make it.

      Will report back on how it is.

      (You like how I make preparing quinoa sound as daunting as staring into the sun?)

      Delete
    3. I just typed Quinoa Salad into the Search area on my blog and find I have actually posted quite a few quinoa recipes. My favourite is the one at this address http://henderson-jo.blogspot.ca/2012/03/expensive-car-myths-help-stop-wildlife.html

      I'd certainly rather cook quinoa.

      Delete
  6. We had a total eclipse a few years ago. It was very eerie watching the shadows change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't get to see anything here at all Pinky.

      Delete
  7. Eclipse here was a bit of a bummer. It got a little bit less bright, but that was it. Who knew that even 6% of the sun's surface could still give off a ton of light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the sun is pretty bright I guess Diane. They said we might get a partial eclipse but I didn't see any diminishing of the light.

      Delete
  8. We only saw a partial eclipse here and had the protective glasses. It was something special, but I also wouldn't drive to see it. I love quinoa but not a fan of cooked cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you saw something. I love cabbage in all forms, especially sautéed. I also love it in salads with feta and other things. Like I said above, I have posted quite a few quinoa recipes over recent years.

      Delete
  9. The time the eclipse was supposed to happen here was my work time, plus I didn't have any special thing to view it from and I'm not risking eye damage at my age. It did get darker for a time but then it was also cloudy at the same time so hard to know, eclipse or weather?
    ]
    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well Betty. Seems to have been cloudy in a lot of places yesterday. Although I heard the eclipse itself would cause the clouds to disperse.

      Delete
  10. That recipe looks sooooooo good. I love quinoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too JoJo. I don't use it nearly enough.

      Delete