Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Wimbledon, Mandarin, Shopping, A/C,

I was surprised to learn that Wimbledon is 140 yrs old.  I was also surprised to learn that in the two weeks of the tennis matches they go through 54,000 tennis balls. that's one hell of a lot of tennis balls. apparently a new ball is required regularly (when I used to play, we used the same all balls for ages). They usually ended up being pretty grungy looking too. I guess the tennis ball manufacturers must love tennis tournaments. I always wanted to play tennis with a ball boy, so much easier than chasing after an errant ball yourself. Needless to say it didn't happen, or at least, extremely infrequently.

Well, I had my chocolate covered bacon today (Tuesday) and enjoyed it very much. My friend could
hardly bear to watch me eat it and Matt has never even tried it. Also had some Maple Glazed Salmon which was actually a tad dry. Not sure why, their salmon is usually very good. Our friend even tried half a cabbage roll - not very Chinese at all. Nor is chocolate covered bacon I guess.  They also had bannocks which I think of as Scottish but they came over with the first immigrants and were adopted by the Indians I gather. Hope I get to go again before the end of the month of celebration for Canada's 150th.  There were some bear paws on the dessert tray too which Matt tried. He ate it all so I guess he liked it. Didn't say. They weren't as big as some bear paws I've seen.

After, we went shopping and the cashier was one I had talked to last week and given my blog address too. She said she had been looking at my recipes but hadn't had time to try any yet. As a working girl you don't really get a lot of time to cook and, as I recall, often feel too tired to do so anyway. Then I took Rogue One back to the library and told them it was unplayable. The librarian found me another copy and I played that fine - I enjoyed it very much. A good prequel.

Having eaten a large lunch we decided to have Asparagus with Poached Eggs and Parmesan, fairly light dish for supper. Will be the last time we can have it til next year. Still got some asparagus left, but nearly at the end. I froze a lot but not the same thing at all.

Thursday morning we have a company coming to look at the A/C. I believe it is totally shot which means a new machine. Problem is it was really pushed into the wall sleeve and I believe will be very difficult to get out. Thank goodness at the moment it isn't too hot.

This is obviously a McCormick's recipe but it sounded so delicious. Whether we can get the marinade mix here or not I don't know.

Island Woodfire Shrimp with Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple

1 package McCormick® Grill Mates® Island Woodfire Grill Marinade
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbs cider vinegar
2 Tbs water
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 slices bacon
1/2 ripe pineapple

1. Mix Marinade Mix, oil, vinegar and water in small bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup for brushing. Place shrimp in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Refrigerate 15 minutes or longer for extra flavor. (Marinate seafood no longer than 30 minutes.)

2. Meanwhile, cut bacon slices in half to make 16 pieces. Place 2 layers of paper towels on microwaveable plate. Place 8 pieces of bacon in single layer on paper towels. Cover with 1 layer of paper towel. Microwave on HIGH 2 to 4 minutes or until bacon is partially cooked. Repeat with remaining bacon. Set aside.

3. Peel pineapple then halve lengthwise. Cut off core from each half. Slice pineapple crosswise so pieces are same thickness as shrimp. Wrap 1 piece bacon around each pineapple slice. Remove shrimp from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade. Alternately thread 2 shrimp and a bacon-wrapped pineapple onto each skewer.

4. Grill skewers over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through, turning occasionally and brushing with reserved marinade.

Servings: 16

Author Notes: (1 skewer) Servings


Have a great day


20 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of bacon, but I do have two packages in the fridge and maybe I should try dipping it in dark chocolate? Everything's better with chocolate, right? I remember hearing once that pasta was invented in China. I should check into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How unusual Denise, everybody loves bacon!! Not sure chocolate would make you like it better. Yes Pasta was definitely invented in China and brought back to the west by Marco Polo. Read a book about it many, many years ago.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked Rogue One!
    That's a lot of tennis balls. I got to see a couple Wimbledon matches when I lived in London many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with the ending and how it blended into the first Star Wars Alex. No spoilers.

      Never went to Wimbledon but used to watch it avidly on TV.

      Delete
  3. I don't think I could stomach chocolate covered bacon. I enjoyed Rogue One even though I knew how it would end. I know most tennis tournaments donate those used tennis balls to clubs and recreational groups. But that's still a huge number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor my friend Susan. I knew how it would end but not the sad part. I didn't know they donated them, but it's still a heck of a lot of balls.

      Delete
  4. There is veggie bacon but not sure how I could replace the chocolate. I don't eat it, real or fake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a chocoholic anyway Diane. I love bacon too, obviously the non veggie kinds.

      Delete
  5. My husband doesn't like bacon at all, so I never have it around. My mom put me in tennis lessons when I was in elementary school. I really hated it. I can't remember if I did it for 1 or 2 springs. I didn't take it seriously and the instructor called up my parents and told them and I got yelled at cause they were paying for the lessons. I was like, well I didn't ASK for them and I HATE them. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do surprise me, I would have thought Russell would have loved bacon JoJo. I didn't hate tennis exactly but was never any good at it. I was not an athletic youngster by any means. I was a bit like you about piano lessons, I wanted to play straight away, and damn the continuous practice.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't touch bacon with a ten foot pole but every single other person I know loves it. I don't eat chocolate either so it wouldn't be on the menu for me. That's an amazing number of tennis balls to go through. I wonder if they recycle them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like chocolate Pinky? You and I wouldn't get on after all, I love the stuff. Susan, above, says they donate the tennis balls after the tournaments are over.

      Delete
  7. Chocolate was originally a savoury so putting it with bacon sounds logical. Good luck with the A/C. I have the same worry about what will happen we have to replace our oven.I hope that's a long way off but it's ageing and fitted very tightly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn't savoury chocolate though Helen. But it was still good. Luckily the oven belongs to the landlords. We have had 3 since we've been here.

      Delete
  8. I was totally shocked about the ending of Rogue One, but did enjoy the movie and plot (though at the beginning until I started putting together the pieces, it was a bit difficult to follow).

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the beginning Betty plus everything was so dark. Not just outside but nobody seemed to use much light indoors either LOL. The ending was sad but it was still good.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jo - couldn't do without bacon ... but chocolate covered - no thanks!

    Yes they have new balls after the knock up and 7 games, then every 9 games thereafter ... they seem to know when the oooomph goes out of a ball ... me I just hit it back - or rather did. I'd never known how many balls were used over the fortnight ... now I do! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what both Matt and my friend said.

      Didn't know about the balls at all. Like you I never bothered but hit back, if I could of course.

      Delete
  10. i never got into tennis but a good friend of mine watches it religiously. I'm surprised how many tennis balls they go through. I don't think I will ever try chocolate coated bacon...not my thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really watched much tennis for a long time Birgit. I love chocolate bacon but each to their own.

      Delete