Monday, July 25, 2016

No Roof, no Walls, Shark Picture, George and his Dog,

Well, this is a new one. A Swiss hotel with no roof and no walls. It's an interesting read as to what it's all about. The advantage of this room is that it has the most incredible views although the nearest public restroom is 10 minutes away (I would never make it).


It costs $250 a night and is subject to last minute cancellation in case the weather turns bad. You get a salami sandwich delivered to you for breakfast too. What I wondered were all the furnishings made of? Can they cover it all up when it rains? Do they deconstruct in the winter? It is obviously only available between spring and fall. I forgot to mention that is over 6,000 feet up.

I get emails from National Geographic and my most recent one included this picture.


If you go to the link there is an interesting video showing how they obtained this picture and all the work that goes into such shots. There is interesting video footage of this picture showing this huge animal leaping out of the water with the decoy in it's mouth.

On Friday it was Prince George's 3rd birthday so new pictures of him were issued by his parents. They are rather cute pix, but one of them has caused a storm of protest.

Apparently that is ice cream and people are protesting about feeding ice cream to dogs. Tut tut, I do hope they will spank George. This business of what you can or cannot give dogs is a bit stupid. I have owned dogs most of my life and used to give them all kinds of things which are now considered to be a no no. Chocolate in particular. I remember one time - in Canada - when we unthinkingly had a wrapped box of chocolates under the tree and went out for the evening. I might say these were special chocolates my mother had brought from England for Matt because they were his favourites. When we returned, the foil wrappings were strewn all over the floor and she, the dog, had left Matt one chocolate. She had eaten the rest. Didn't do her a scrap of harm. Annoyed us though.

This recipe was on MyRecipes among a lot of kebab recipes. I like lamb so it appealed to me of course. I love kebabs,  not sure why, but a whole bunch of recipes for them is good.

Lamb, Tomato, and Mint Kebabs

2 tsp fresh ginger
2 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp kosher salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb boneless lean leg of lamb (cut into 24 pieces)
16 cherry tomatoes
16 (1/2-inch) slices cucumber
16 mint leaves
8 (8-inch) skewers
Cooking spray
1/4 tsp salt

1. Combine ginger, olive oil, cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, minced garlic, and lamb; toss. Thread lamb, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, and mint leaves alternately onto skewers. Coat with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 6 minutes (for medium-rare) or until done, turning skewers occasionally for an even char.

Servings: 4 (2 skewers each)

Tips If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes before grilling.

Source: Cooking Light


Have a great day
 

18 comments:

  1. Dogs can have a few licks of vanilla ice cream. There is even special doggie ice cream I've seen in pet stores. That 'hotel' is a bit ridiculous though. Here, sleep outside with a bathroom far away and a salami sandwich for $250. I don't think so. I should do that...stick a bed in my front yard and charge people to sleep in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trouble is JoJo, you don't have the majestic mountain views.

      Delete
  2. Is there a refund if you are eaten by a wild animal?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always allowed my little girl (puppy) to have a few licks, and then we bought her the puppy ice cream so she'd feel included. But social media blowing up over that picture is ridiculous, as seems usual lately for social media! People really need to get a life!
    Once the location is known that bedroom in the open will be posted all over social media, privacy gone! Why isn't there a chamber pot under the bed? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about social media Yolanda. It was/is ridiculous.

      I never thought of a chamber pot, you are so right.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the shark picture. I just pinned it to one of my Pinterest boards for the novella I'm working on.

    Our cat Hobbes got into the Easter candy one year and ate the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. It didn't hurt her a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the video footage Diane, it's incredible.

      I don't know if cats are supposed to refrain from chocolate or not, but I do know dogs are.

      Delete
  5. I don't think I would sleep well outside like that though it's an interesting idea. My little dog once ate an entire bag of Hershey Kisses, even most of the foil. Didn't seem to bother him at all and he only weighed about 15 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would but I would be concerned about no bathroom Susan. That is my experience with dogs and chocolate but the vets all say its a no no.

      Delete
  6. I agree with oyu...it is stupid about all the broo-ha-ha about the dog eating ice cream. If they were feeding the dog this every day, well, yes but this was just one time and no big deal. heck, I saw an episode of Frasier where the dog ate ice cream and no one said we should ban from watching Frasier. We are getting too out of hand. Chocolate is not good for dogs but my dog once got a hold of some special chocolate I buy every year from the One of a Kind show...she was fine but I was upset. Talk about rip off sleeping outdoors for $250 and I only get a salami sandwich. I would never make it to the loo either and there is no nearby tree or bush. The shark picture is a killer (sorry couldn't help it). I made that Jumbo Pasta shell recipe and it was delicious. I plan to post about it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is getting out of hand Birgit. We were the same about the chocs our dog ate which my mother brought from the UK. It does seem like a rip off but I agree with Yolanda, they should at least have a chamber pot under the bed. I'll be interested to see your post.

      Delete
  7. My mother told me a story about a friend of hers who took her dog to the vets because they couldn't wake it up. They spent thousands on tests and eventually the dog just woke up and was fine despite the vet having no idea what was wrong with it. When they arrived home they discovered that a packet of Valium had been ripped apart and eaten. I used to give my dogs ice-cream but they get sick from anything unusual now they're older. My fox terrier steals my Nicorettes and trots around chewing them. I think she's addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moral being don't leave valium where the dog can get it, or Nicorettes come to that Pinky. I used a computer gadget to quit smoking and I haven't had a ciggy in 20 years now.

      Delete
  8. That hotel sounds bizarre. Don't think I'd want to stay there without toilet facilities.
    There are a whole lot of things that are problematic for dogs these days. All our dogs have stolen grapes from the vines until quite recently when we were told they were bad for them and found a way of barricading them off. None of them had any apparent ill effects - one died of natural causes at 19 ½ after scoffing them all her life - but I've heard of others dying from eating them so I prefer not to take chances. I guess as with chocolate it all depends on the individual dog. My nephew, then ten years old, hid his substantial stash of Easter eggs under his bed where they were found and eaten by their tiny little Sydney Silky who showed no ill effects at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me Helen. I wonder if dogs aren't sensible enough to not eat things that would be bad for them personally. That was a very good age for your dog. Funny about the Silky.

      Delete
    2. Most of my dogs have lived long lives, Jo, except for one who got cancer and another who had a congenital heart defect. I must be doing something right, I guess.

      Delete
    3. Sounds like you must be Helen.

      Delete