Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Blogging, Asparagus, Nopalitos.

One day, I might learn. I get several good ideas for blogging, got lots during A to Z but because I am too dumb to write them down, guess what, I forget what they were. Trouble is I am usually doing something at the time which precludes me from recording an idea so it just drifts away with the breeze.

Asparagus2I was horrified to learn yesterday, that a very good friend, Elizabeth Seckman, doesn’t like asparagus nor does her husband. What sacrilege, what Philistines! I grieve for people who don’t like the heaven sent spears of deliciousness. Don’t tell anyone, but I do know other people who fall into this category. Elizabeth tells me they bought a house with an asparagus bed and gave away all the produce for a while and finally mowed over the whole lot and got rid of it. I used to have an asparagus bed in England. Once the season was over, I used to grow the ferns (well you have to let it grow anyway) and pick some of them for flower arrangements. Very pretty. Girlfriend in NC used to have a bed as well, just enough for her, never did get any of it. Mind you I probably wouldn't have shared any either. It wasn’t until we discovered Barrie’s Asparagus Farm a few years ago that I got to indulge my predilection for asparagus again. I will warn you, if you are a newcomer, this blog will be full of asparagus recipes whilst the season is upon us. July 1 it will be all over.

If you followed my A to Z contributions,, I talked about Nopalitos or nopalitoscactus leaves. Another thing I very much enjoy. Tuesday I receiNopalesved a parcel with two cans of them which I had ordered on line from a company called La Tortilleria. What I hadn’t expected was that they would arrive in 27.5 oz cans. Rather a lot of nopalitos to consume in a reasonable amount of time. I will, however, do my best. My lunch yesterday included both asparagus and nopalitos. Probably will again today.

I actually don’t much like gnocchi, but I thought this recipe looked delicious nevertheless. I might change it back to pasta anyway. Many people do like gnocchi so for them this is fine.

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto

Gnocchi with Shrimp, Asparagus, and Pesto Recipe
Cooking Light

Gnocchi--small Italian potato dumplings--are a hearty alternative to pasta. While making gnocchi from scratch could take more than an hour, premade vacuum-packed dumplings cook in a few minutes.

4 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

Ingredients

2 quarts plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
1 (16-ounce) package vacuum-packed gnocchi (such as Vigo)
4 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1 pound)            
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp, coarsely chopped 
1 cup basil leaves
2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
2 tablespoons preshredded Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
 

Preparation

1. Bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add gnocchi to pan; cook 4 minutes or until done (gnocchi will rise to surface). Remove with a slotted spoon; place in a large bowl. Add asparagus and shrimp to pan; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done. Drain. Add shrimp mixture to gnocchi.
2. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon water, basil, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping sides. Drizzle oil through food chute with food processor on; process until well blended. Add basil mixture to shrimp mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.

Have a great day
Jo

30 comments:

  1. Hi, Jo,

    You are too funny... It is true, though, not everyone like asparagus. This recipe looks WONDERFUL and so doe the picture. I love gnocchi, but I don't eat it too often because of the carbs.... But I may have to try this recipe!

    Thanks for sharing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I don't worry about carbs so much as calories. It does look good though.

      Delete
  2. They mowed over asparagus and you still have them as friends???? What a gal, lol! Recipe looks delicious. My mother made great gnocchi, but it has been awhile since I've made them or homemade pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Denise, I amaze myself some times. Maybe I need to try home made gnocchi, not been something that really appealed to me up to now.

      Delete
  3. I didn't like them either when I was young but I love them now. I remember a bunch grew in my dad's garden but he didn't plant them. We watched these pretty ferns come up and he said he was going to leave them b/c he wanted to see what they were. We were all surprised to see asparagus. No idea how that happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make pretty ferns JoJo, especially the ones with the red berries. From what I know, you have to have male and female asparagus to get a healthy crop every year.

      Delete
  4. I've heard that asparagus haters exist but I find it hard to believe. Ah well it's their loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth and her husband mowed over an asparagus bed? :O (Haha!) That shrimp dish looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreadful isn't it? Can't go wrong with shrimp and asparagus. Not for me anyway.

      Delete
  6. *gasp* Sacrilege!
    We need to go haunt Liz's yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it was their current yard Melissa. If it were I'd be right with you.

      Delete
  7. What? WHAT??? How could the Seckmans do such a crime as to mow asparagus? They are so expensive here! That's it. I'm sending the dwarves to get the forks and torches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea dear Dragon. I didn't know they were expensive in Mexico. They apparently are in China.

      Delete
  8. I likes the asparagus. And Brussels sprouts. I'll have to trade the shrimp for another meat since shrimp doesn't like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity about the shrimp David, but I know people can be allergic to it.

      Delete
  9. I LOVE asparagus! I like it pickled, I like it fresh, steamed, oven baked, in things, all by itself. I love asparagus. Nuf said. Lisa, @ http://www.lisabuiecollard.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too Lisa, I have never pickled it myself but they do so at the farm and I buy it there, delicious.

      Delete
  10. I guess I'm one of those people as well. Don't hate me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you haven't mowed it down Alex, the dwarves are after the Seckmans for this.

      Delete
  11. Is it easy to grow? Because I have a brown thumb. I've had my new raised flowerbeds/garden a week now and already it looks like all of the squash is toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes and no Diane. You have to buy the crowns and plant them in a deep bed with, preferably, a good layer of manure at the bottom and rocks for drainage. Then you have to wait a year or two before picking (don't remember how long) but once you have it established they grow like weeds, very tasty weeds. My friend was at the coast and hers grew very well until the sea flooded her yard a couple of times during hurricanes. Not sure if she still has a bed any more or not. Gotta be a farm in NC somewhere surely?

      Delete
  12. Oh I am one of the ones who does not like asparagus:) My mom never understood that either. This recipe sound delicious and I bet i can substitute Asparagus for something else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess there are a lot of you out there Birgit. I don't understand it, but no doubt you, and others, love things I wouldn't eat.

      Delete
  13. I can't imagine anyone not liking asparagus! I think I might have mentioned here (or some other blog, LOL) when we lived in Oregon by Harry and David with the pears, they found asparagus was good for the soil for pear trees, so they had asparagus growing in the orchards. They could care less for the asparagus when ripe, only concentrating on pears, so people could come and pick the asparagus for free. An elderly man who lived by a park my kids and me went to and would come over and talk sometimes (I'm sure he was lonely) would give us a bag or two of it. Delicious! Not sure if they continue the practice to this day; that was over 20 years ago.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been over there all the time. How wonderful Betty. I am sure the elderly man was lonely. The elderly often are.

      Delete
  14. I know you love me when I commit sacrilege and still get hugs. They do look like pretty ferns. When my neighbor mowed hers down, it was topped out, and she had no clue what it was. She told me she chopped down all the weird flowers. I told her it was asparagus. She was like...oh, so that's what it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the pain Liz. Not just one but two of you committing such sacrilege.

      Delete
  15. Hi Jo - love asparagus ... I asked my uncle, when I was spending a lot of time with him at his house and helping out, whether he had any rhubarb - he looked askance at me .. and said yes they had had some ... but the compost heap covered it ... as they didn't like ... he saw me 'weep' in horror .. much like mowing over the asparagus bed!!

    Cheers and I love both .. that shrimp, gnocchi and asparagus looks a delicious mix .. something definitely to try .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They grow a very good rhubarb at the asparagus farm. I sometimes pick up a bunch, but Matt doesn't like it, so I just cook a little for me. Pity really as I have lots of rhubarb recipes too.

      I think I need to try homemade gnocchi. Not me, an expert.

      Delete