Saturday, October 25, 2014

Saturday Recipe

It being that time of year, I figured this was a good side dish. For double cream in North America use whipping cream. For chicory read Belgian Endive.

Pumpkin & potato gratin

Pumpkin and potato gratin

By Good Food
Serves 6

  An brilliant vegetarian twist on the classic French dish of potato gratin - you can also make it ahead
Ingredients
  • 3 tbsp sunflower oil
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 large red chilli, seeded and chopped
  • 700g pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into wedges and peeled, then cut into chunks
  • 450g potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
  • 6-8 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
  • 140g dolcelatte cheese, cubed
  • 50g parmesan, finely grated
  • 150ml vegetable stock
  • 284ml carton double cream
For the topping
  • 50g butter
  • 140g fresh white breadcrumbs
  • 25g walnuts, chopped
  • a handful of fresh parsley, chopped

The gratin can be prepared up to 3-4 hours before baking.

 

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until starting to soften (about 5 minutes). Lift the onions out with a slotted spoon and place in an ovenproof dish.
  2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, then tip in the garlic, chilli, pumpkin chunks, chopped potatoes and sage and toss them together in the hot oil until lightly browned all over. (This takes 5-6 minutes.) Add to the dish containing the onion.
  3. Scatter the two sorts of cheese over the vegetables, season and toss together until well mixed. Combine the stock and cream and pour over the vegetables.
  4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the breadcrumbs and walnuts together until lightly browned. Stir in the parsley and scatter the crumbly mixture over the top of the vegetables. Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes until bubbling and golden brown. Serve hot, with a chicory salad.
Have a great weekend
Jo

15 comments:

  1. I'm hungry, and this sounds good. Too bad I am too lazy to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jo - I love these sorts of dishes - always good to have and definitely homely. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever remember seeing pumpkin when I lived in England.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of dolcelatte cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Italian and is basically Gorgonzola before the green is created. At one time you could only get it in Italy.

      Delete
  4. GoodFood Magazine is the best magazine, and their online page is great fun too. But the magazine is the only one I'll spend money on. Great stuff.

    Cheers and Happy Eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't take magazines at all any more. We occasionally pick up Food and Drink from our Liquor store - it comes out about 4 times a year.

      Happy eating to you especially the spiders LOL

      Delete
    2. The magazine is very high priced at my store but it offers more than the others (I find). Though I was disappointed with the pink issues they recently had here and didn't get it because it was too many summer dishes and I am into Autumn/Fall cookery and bakes.

      Not sure what Food & Drink is, but it sounds interesting based on the title.

      Delete
    3. If you google it, they have a website.

      Delete
  5. Yum! My kids favourite thing I cook is Potato Gratin or as they call it Potato Bake. This looks a much more grown up sophisticated version. I'll have to try it Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're dieting so can't be having all that cheese :-( but we will be having roast pumpkin soup over the Winter as we both love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd eat it on my diet. I would just cut back on something else. Not tried roasted pumpkin soup, I just use puréed pumpkin - used to make my own but finding them a bit tough to cut and the canned pumpkin I can buy in the store is excellent. What do you do roast the whole pumpkin?

      Delete