Saturday, September 20, 2014

Saturday Recipe

I came across 23 things to do with rotisserie chicken and thought this one looked especially good. I just happened to buy some baby kale yesterday so that is what I will use. I will be checking out the other recipes as I find buying rotisserie chicken so very convenient.

Kale Salad with Chicken

Contributed by Spike GjerdeKale Salad with Chicken

  • SERVINGS: 4

Kale salads are great with a dressing that relies on cured fish, like anchovies or the salted oysters I make, which I call ‘oy-chovies,’” says chef Spike Gjerde.
  1. Four 4-by- 1/2-inch slices peasant bread
  2. 2 garlic cloves—1 peeled, 1 minced
  3. 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 ounce)
  4. 4 anchovies, minced
  5. 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
  6. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  7. 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  8. 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  9. Salt
  10. Freshly ground pepper
  11. 1/2 pound Tuscan kale—stems trimmed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise
  12. Two 3-ounce jars cocktail onions, drained and halved
  13. 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
 
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the bread on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes, until crisp. Rub the hot toast with the peeled garlic clove, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the cheese and bake for 10 minutes longer, until the cheese browns. Let cool, then break into 1-inch croutons.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the anchovies, minced garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire and the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese. Whisk in the oil; season the dressing with salt and pepper.
  3. In a large bowl, toss the kale with 6 tablespoons of the dressing. Let stand for 3 minutes. Add the onions, chicken, croutons and remaining dressing. Toss and serve.
Have a great weekend 
Jo



10 comments:

  1. Hi Jo - I love rustic salads and fresh kale with those croutons and the dressing make absolute sense .. with a pull or two of chicken ... enjoy lunch or supper tonight! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a little baby kale in my salad last night. It was good. Never eaten it uncooked before.

      Delete
  2. Rotisserie chicken smells and tastes so incredibly good, but I get very sick every time, and I do mean EVERY time, I eat it, unless it's a chicken I've bought and cooked in the Set It and Forget It. Russell said it's cause they use the older chickens in the supermarket to make the rotisserie style. His system is used to it, mine isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's the age of the chicken it's probably what they baste it with. What is a Set it and Forget it?

      Delete
  3. Chicken salad is one of my favorites! I can't wait to try your recipe, especially with the cocktail onions and the kale. The spices will also give it an extra zip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too sure about kale in a salad. I tried a few leaves last night and they were good.

      Delete
  4. I find the rotisserie chickens we get her to be far too salty. They are very convenient though I agree. Great recipe including kale. Isn't that a superfood?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find ours too salty. I love to buy one now and again but we just eat it as is. I think you are right Kale is counted as a superfood. We had some tonight in another recipe I found, not a salad though. I thought we were short on greens lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've been juicing this past week with kale as our base. And whatever vegetables we have in our fridge. We found a green apple, limes, and a bit of ginger (not too much) takes off the edge of juicing green veggies. Oh, and beets help too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good. I always end up with way too much juice though. Not sure how long it keeps. Hubby doesn't drink it.

      Delete