Monday, July 14, 2014

Pallas Cat

Just so’s you don’t forget me.

Pallas CatThis is an animal I have never heard of before, it apparently lives in the Himalayan mountains and was discovered when researchers were looking for snow leopards. There is a video of what happened when the Pallas Cat realised there was something odd outside its lair. A remote camera.  They describe it as an animal that looks half house cat and half snow leopard. I am always staggered when I hear of new animals which have never been seen before. In certain areas of the world they are making new discoveries all the time but not usually of such a large animal as this one.

Tried this recipe the other day. It was delicious. In fact we had Canadian salmon and I still l had some asparagus left. Béarnaise Sauce is one of the classic French sauces. Of course whilst I have been gone, fresh Ontario asparagus has also gone. You can still see the tear tracks down my cheeks.

Norwegian Salmon Béarnaise

 
  • 4 servings
Grilled Norwegian Salmon covered in a warm, rich Béarnaise sauce and placed atop a bed of tender asparagus. An easy made dish for ready to amaze!
Norwegian Salmon Béarnaise

Ingredients

Number of servings 4

4 each 5-6 oz Norwegian Salmon fillet(s), skin removed
3 eggs
2 tbsp lemon juice
1.5 tbsp water
Tabasco
.5 lb butter
6 sprig tarragon
.75 lb asparagus
salt
fresh cracked pepper
 

Procedure

The amount of ingredients has been changed. Keep in mind:
  • Cooking for more people takes longer time
  • Be careful with salty ingredients and spices, you should add to taste towards the end
  • Prepare the grill.
Béarnaise
  • Separate yolks from whites, reserving yolks. 
  • Melt the butter.  
  • Chop the tarragon. 
  • In food processor, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, water, Tabasco, salt and pepper. 
  • While processor is running, slowly add melted butter, and then tarragon. Process another 30 seconds, then reserve and warm.
Asparagus
  • Blanch asparagus in salted boiling water until tender, about 2 minutes. 
  • Reserve and keep warm.
Salmon
  • Season salmon with salt and pepper. 
  • Grill salmon over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side, or to desired temperature. 
  • Divide asparagus onto 4 plates place salmon on top and then spoon warm béarnaise over the salmon. 
Serving Suggestion:
  • Serve with roasted potatoes.
Have a great week
Jo (2)









18 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware of this new cat. It's certainly suited to its environment with the fur and shape of its ears. With a cat like that around you wouldn't need a guard dog, lol!

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you watch the video, it is funny to see the cat checking out the camera.

      Delete
  2. I'd heard of the Pallas cat before, but I fell in love with cats when I was a child and read everything I could find about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never come across it - I thought it was only a recent find.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Very, furniture would never be the same.

      Delete
  4. What an unusual, and fierce looking, cat. I am always encouraged when new species are discovered because that gives me hope that someday the existence of Sasquatch will be indeed proven and I can strut around saying, 'I told you so' to all the nonbelievers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, JoJo? They've gotta find the Yeti first, that's much older. Or maybe Nessie as well.

      Delete
  5. The salmon sounds delicious. Just saw some wild Alaskan salmon in the store. BTW, we would never forget you. I've also taken a break from blogging. But busy, busy with the grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. Thanks.

      Thought I hadn't seen you around either.

      Delete
  6. That's spooky Jo. I'm off to the Wildlife Heritage Foundation at Smarden, Kent on Thursday for a photographic experience. Its a sanctuary that breeds endangered species of Big Cats (and smaller ones) and I first saw Pallas Cats there 5 years ago when I attended 'an Artists Day' at the Centre. The cats are very timid and apparently their ears are set on the side of their heads (rather than on top) so they aren't visible when the cats peer over rocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating Sue. I was under the impression that they were recent discovery but obviously not. Do post some pix - I am sure you will be taking some.

      Delete
  7. I loved the video Jo. He was a curious cat. There are sightings of a mysterious big cat wandering in the bush 200 kms south of my city. There's much speculation in the local paper too!

    http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/bowen-lion-theory-has-gone-to-the-dogs/story-fnjfzs4b-1226983783040

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Jo. Thanks for sharing the video. I kept expecting the cat to start batting at the camera. : )

    I don't care for salmon, but I like asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too Susanne.

      I love asparagus and during the season post lots of recipes.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jo .. what an amazing animal - I hadn't heard of a Pallas Cat before .. bet their claws are mighty sharp ..

    The salmon and asparagus dish looks delicious .. I had quite a few of those when asparagus was in season ... we can get European asparagus - but I don't buy.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It turns out they are in a Wildlife Heritage Foundation in Smarden, Kent if you read the comment by Sue Clinker above - I thought they were a more recent discovery.

      I am crying about the lack of fresh local asparagus.

      Delete