Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M is for Manatees and Magnolia Lace Trumpets

M
I knew that manatees went to Florida for the winter, I had forgotten Manateeit was the Crystal River where they accumulated, Apparently this is the only place in the States where you are legally allowed to swim with them. Although not the prettiest of creatures, manatees are such gentle critters. They are often hurt by outboard engines speeding up and down the waters where they congregate, and you will frequently see great gashes on their backs. There is a theory that manatees are what sailors of old took to be mermaids because they have breasts. I didn’t know before that there are several species of manatee, some in West India, West Africa and the Amazon basin. The name manatí comes from the Taíno, a pre-Columbian people of the Caribbean, meaning "breast”.

This recipe is one of Paula Deen’s and I found it on the Food Network. In England we call these lace trumpets Ginger Snaps. I like the Magnolia lace name much better. It has just occurred to me, one could always use Philadelphia Chocolate Cream Cheese, maybe add a little salt.

Magnolia lace trumpets with chocolate cream cheese filling


 

Ingredients


  • For the trumpets:
  • 3½ oz (100g) sugar
  • 4 oz (110g) butter
  • 3 fl oz (85 ml) golden syrup
  • 4¼ oz (120g) plain flour
  • ½ tsp ground ginger
  • ½ fl oz (15 ml) Irish cream liqueur, optional
  • Cream cheese filling, recipe follows
  • For the chocolate cream cheese filling:
  • 3¼ oz (90g) cream cheese
  • 1.6 fl oz (45 ml) milk
  • 8¾ oz (250g) sifted icing sugar
  • 2 oz (60g) unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • Salt
Method
How to make Magnolia lace trumpets with chocolate cream cheese filling
For the trumpets:
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/Gas 4. Line a baking tray with foil.
2) In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter, and golden syrup. Cook mixture over low heat until butter melts; remove from heat.
3) Stir together flour and ginger; add dry mixture to butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in liqueur, if desired.
4) Drop batter by rounded tsp 7.5 to 10cms apart onto the prepared baking tray. Bake only 2 or 3 biscuits at a time because you must work quickly to form the cones before they cool and become brittle (If biscuit gets too brittle to roll, pop back in the oven for 1 minute to soften).
5) Bake in oven for 9 to 10 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown.
6) Quickly invert biscuits onto another baking tray, and wrap each biscuit around the greased handle of a wooden spoon or a metal cone to form a trumpet shape. When biscuit is set, slide biscuit off spoon or cone; cool on a wire rack.
7) Fill biscuits with filling and serve.
8) To store, place unfilled biscuits in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature in a cool, dry place for up to 3 days or freeze unfilled biscuits for up to 3 months. Thaw biscuits and fill.
For the filling:
1) Soften cream cheese in milk. Add melted chocolate and salt. Beat until smooth.

Have a great day
Jo

36 comments:

  1. That is one Rubenesque mermaid. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when you have been at sea for months and months!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. I've heard manatees are really sweet and friendly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones I have seen certainly seem to be. Sea World in Florida have them in a part open part closed pool.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You could if you wanted, you're not that far from Florida. Used to take us 12 hours to Kissimmee from the Swansboro area.

      Delete
  4. I watched Paula Deen make those on tv and cringed at the amount of fat in them. Although they certainly look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't seem to bad fat wise. Depending on what you fill them with I guess. I haven't eaten them in years, but we often used to eat them with thick Cornish cream. Now that was fatty.

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love lace trumpets , be it in any variety :) ...they taste yummy ultra yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the natural world is amazing. I think we forget. All God's Creatures Great and Small. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right you are, they are not the cutest of creatures; but you always hear such positive things about them, unlike Paula. Did you get to swim with them? I'm a terrible swimmer and so would not be able to, but when I've seen pictures, it looks like a wonderful experience.
    Traveling Suitcase A-Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't swum with them. Might have done once, but not these days. Hubby is more fish than human so I am sure he would love to have done so, but there again, not these days.

      Delete
  8. I Saw the most amazing photos of manatees at the Natural History Museum's Wildlife photographer of the Year .. at the end of January .. just brilliant, especially with the accompanying write up.

    Then ginger snaps ... love them - I'd prefer mine plain with Cornish clotted cream ... my mother used to make them like ice-cream cones .. very tasty - fine for us kids .. now I'd have to go slow and reduce quantity guzzled!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds as thought it would have been great Hilary, wonder if it will come on TV here one day.

      I haven't had them in years either, I remember them with clotted cream. Gosh that has set up longings.

      Delete
  9. Hi Jo,

    Up until about a year ago, I wasn't even aware of the manatee. Thus, your added info has given me further insight. I should come over and swim with them in that one location.

    I would have to make that recipe minus the optional alcohol. I'm um way too young to add such an ingredient :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating creature. I wish I could have swum with them.

      As I have no idea how old you are, I guess that would be your choice. Penny might like them with alcohol though.

      Delete
  10. They are neat animals.
    There's a Veggie Tales manatee song that my kids used to love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know that one. Young kids I assume

      Delete
  11. Ooooh...those trumpets look yummy!

    Visiting from the A to Z Challenge signup page. Great to meet you!

    Stephanie Faris, author
    30 Days of No Gossip
    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love manatees. If I could swim with one that would be awesome. As far as the food you had me at chocolate cream cheese, lol.

    Brandon Ax: Writer's Storm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fantastic to swim with them. Have you tried Philly chocolate cheese? I love it.

      Delete
  13. I still remember a trip to Florida with my family when I was a girl and we got to pet manatees.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was reading too quickly and thought it was a manatee recipe! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny the things we read when we misread?

      Delete
  15. The manatee is a relative of our Australian dugong I'm sure. Weren't they mistaken for mermaids by lonely sailors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Pinky. Wrote about the Dugong for D. The Manatees because they had breasts.

      Delete
  16. The recipe looks delightful! Manatees are so ugly they are beautiful! Enjoyed the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Helen. They are such placid, peaceful creatures.

      thanks

      Delete
  17. Those magnolia trumpets look delish! And I grew up with Manatees since I live in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious. Did you ever get to swim with them?

      Delete
  18. Poor overtaxed sailors so desperate that such ugly/interesting creatures would entice them.

    But oh my gosh, magnolia trumpets - Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were at sea a long time and manatees do have breasts!!!!

      They look good don't they?

      Delete