Monday, February 24, 2014

A to Z, Hockey Gold.

I spent a large part of the weekend writing my blogs for the April A Alphabetto Z Challenge. It’s basically the only challenge I take part in but this will be my third and I enjoy doing it. It is particularly fun for me to try and find suitable recipes starting with the appropriate letter. Luckily there are lots of Chinese recipes starting with X. I seem to be developing a wildlife theme this year, previous years I haven’t had any kind of theme but it just seems to have fallen out this way. Not quite sure why it happened. I like to get as many (if not all) blogs done in advance as I am a minion again, one of Tina’s Terrific Team as you will see from the badge, and that necessitates visiting lots of participating blogs. Some people can do it with the use of clones, some of us can’t. Despite the fact that I now own a franchise on cloning machines. If you don’t know what the heck I am on about, don’t worry. I guess it’s a bloggers joke.

I don’t follow hockey (ice hockey of course over here) I have only sidney-crosbyever been to one game, years ago when I missed every goal because someone started talking to me. However, Sunday I was glued to the TV, along with nearly every other Canadian, to watch the Canada/Sweden gold medal match. Way to go guys. 3-0. After the way the Canadian women came back at the end we couldn’t take it for granted that Canada had won until almost the last minute. I hope my Canadian friends wintering in the States were able to see the match too. Congratulations Canada, way to go. That gives us 10 gold, 10 silver and 5 bronze. Russia came first in the medal rankings with Norway second, we were third. Whoopee. The picture shows Sidney Crosby who’s name even I know.

Hey, d’you think that augers well for my bowling today?

This sounds like an interesting twist on Eggs Benedict from Food & Wine.

Avocado Hollandaise

Avocado Hollandaise
Christina Holmes
Contributed by Kay Chun
  • SERVINGS: 4
Luscious, rich and lemony Hollandaise gets completely re-imagined here in a light, supremely creamy puree of avocado, lemon juice and olive oil.
  1. 1/2 very ripe medium Hass avocado, peeled and chopped
  2. 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  3. 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  4. Kosher salt
  5. Freshly ground pepper
  6. Poached eggs, for serving
  1. In a blender, combine the avocado and lemon juice with 1/3 cup of hot water. Puree until smooth and light in texture, about 2 minutes, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally. With the machine on, drizzle in the olive oil and puree until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Serve the hollandaise over poached eggs.
Have a great day
Jo

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen an A-Z challenge with a recipe theme. That's a great idea, Jo. I look forward to reading your posts.

    And I'm gawking over that recipe and photo. I LOVE avocados. Combined with poached eggs, it sounds divine.

    Be well.
    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's more a wildlife theme Robyn, the recipe is an every day thing anyway.

      It does sound good, doesn't it?

      Delete
  2. You are very organised Jo ...
    Haven't got a clue what you're talking about re. clones etc., but then I'm more an occasional Blogger with sporadic bursts of enthusiasm and then long periods of inactivity. (plus our travel schedule makes it difficult to write regularly)
    Sounds like a fun challenge though - so will enjoy seeing what you've come up with

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am a Virgo, they are supposed to be organised.

      No, it's a thing with a bunch of bloggers, involving Ninjas, Dragons, Dwarves and clones.

      I enjoy the A to Z.

      Delete
  3. That's two in a row for Team Canada. Congrats on the victory.

    And I like avocados and eggs, so I'll try this one out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen. Canada was suitably excited yesterday.

      Me too, haven't tried it yet, but I will

      Delete
  4. You have to know Sid the Kid!
    Glad you have most of your posts ready. Wildlife theme? That will be interesting. Will it be here is the animal in the wild and here it is on your plate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know that nickname for a start.

      That wouldn't have been a bad idea Alex, but I am not sure there are alphabetically 26 animals/plants we eat. Maybe I will look into that for next year to see if it's possible.

      Delete
  5. You will make a good minion.

    I wonder what else would be good under that hollandaise sauce since I don't eat eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane.

      Potatoes, breads certainly, mushrooms perhaps? Vegetables of all kinds.

      Delete
  6. I still can't believe it's time for the A to Z - I'm not ready. Oh dear, have I got to get things done. I've been writing - book 3 - but is that really an excuse? LOL

    Congrats on the hockey! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting there. Not an excuse, a reason.

      Thanks.

      Delete