Thursday, January 30, 2014

Computers, Infamous Canadians, Jeopardy Sweepstakes.

Multiple card readerWell I soon got rid of that money I earned this week. Had my computer guy here. I told you about my printer going kaput. We decided it wasn’t worth repairing, especially as I have an alternate. But I was losing a card reader and a USB port, so he installed a card reader which does everything. Plus I got a new mouse for my desktop, the old one was giving up the ghost. As Matt frequently points out, I have a very expensive hobby. This picture is similar if not exactly the same. I couldn’t figure out where to put my camera card to test it, had to be shown. I can also put a SIM card in there pl;us various other cards which I don't have anyway.

I see Justin Bieber is in the news again, he is being shown in prison garb. He could use a stint in prison but I’m not sure it would do him any good. Matt figures he will get special treatment. He is in trouble with the law in both Toronto and in Miami. The police say drugs were uncovered at his home. Our infamous Toronto Mayor is in the news again too. Maybe I’ll change my nationality, LOL.

I am still dedicatedly following and entering the Jeopardy Explore the World Sweepstakes. I don’t really think I will win but splash-arcticone can’t do so without playing. There are some wonderful trips, including the Arctic and the Galapagos. Matt would be thrilled to go to the latter. I guess we would both be thrilled to go on any of their fabulous trips. I have always envied their “clue crew” who travel around the world sometimes with Alex Trebek, or maybe he always goes and we just don’t see him.  This picture advertises the trip for yesterday Arctic Svalbard: Ice Bears. I have always wanted to see polar bears in the wild. Seen them in the zoo of course, but never in the wild even though that is quite possible in Churchill, Ontario.

Having chosen a couple of snack recipes, here is an Indian inspired recipe from Food & Recipes which I liked the sound of. Obviously you can make your own choice, but I have mentioned before, I rarely, if ever, use non fat anything.

Cashew Salmon With Apricot Couscous


Cashew Salmon With Apricot Couscous
WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Yogurt sauce flavoured with lemon, cumin and cilantro tops this Indian-inspired grilled salmon.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 3  scallions, sliced, greens and whites separated
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 cup whole-wheat couscous
  • 1 pound salmon fillet, preferably wild Pacific, skinned and cut into 4 portions
  • 2 tablespoons chopped toasted cashews
Instructions
  1. Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
  2. Combine yogurt, scallion greens, lemon juice, cilantro, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add apricots, ginger, the scallion whites and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
  4. Meanwhile, rub salmon with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. If grilling, oil the grill rack. If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Grill or broil the salmon until browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with the couscous, topped with the yogurt sauce and cashews.
Have a great day.
Jo

10 comments:

  1. Matt doesn't want to know how much I spend every year on computers then. Or how many of them we own.
    Can we send Beiber back to you? Just be sure to lock him up. The kid is nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I own a desktop, a laptop and a tablet not to mention a Kindle and a still working but somewhat obsolete Palm Pilot. Not bad for one person. To Matt that is all totally unnecessary - he's not into computers at all.

      We don't want him thanks although we do seem to have got him back anyway.

      Delete
  2. Don't forget Bieber's troubles in California for egging a neighbor's house. I hear the US online petition to take away his green card has way more than enough signatures. Looks like now that he is back in Toronto you may get to keep him for good. Maybe you can get him and your mayor into therapy together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about that. Didn't realise he had a green card.

      Delete
  3. Computers aren't hobbies - they are necessities! I need at least two to do my daily work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course, for you, but we are retired so according to Matt, my computers are toys, hobbies, not necessary. The fact that I do all our banking and many other business things on them, doesn't register with him. If I 'go' first, he will be doing accounts in an account book.

      Delete
  4. They'd leave Bieber alone if he were any other teen, but with media and police following his every move, he's toast no matter what. Not making excuses, just saying sometimes the whole thing is pushed way too far. He makes too much money for our economy, we can't throw him out. :)
    Enjoyed your blog once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Silvia. Be nice if he learned how to handle it all though.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo, I also have a PC, laptop and a notebook - probably too much for one person but they all have their uses. I take the notebook when I travel to Kitchener, it's so light and doesn't take up much space, but when they act up, it can be very expensive. Personally I am sick of hearing about Bieber and Ford - our two current embarrassments. Hopefully both will grow up soon, LOL We still have loads of snow up here - it's snowing as I speak and I can't wait for Spring so that I can visit my grandbabies again. Hope you are keeping well. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they just. I'm sick of those two as well, but Rob Ford is already old enough to know better.

      We have lots of the white stuff here and yesterday it was so windy we were getting whiteouts all day. Not funny.

      Hugs to you Chris.

      Delete