Thursday, November 28, 2013

Holidays, Crossroads, Satima’s Blog.

TurkeyAll my American friends will be stuffing themselves stupid with turkeys and hams today, I am envious, I love turkey, only thing I don’t like is Pumpkin Pie. I wish you all the very best Thanksgiving and hope everything you are thankful for continues to be a blessing in your lives.MenorahThen there is Hanukkah and once again, I wish those of you celebrating all the very best for the coming year.

CrossroadsToday is the Travel League bowling I had mentioned the other day. We are going out of town to Elmira which is some distance away. As I said, we will be lunching at the Crossroads just outside town where they feature a huge buffet. The restaurant is Mennonite owned and staffed and they do a wonderful job. There is also a large gift store attached with the most fascinating items for gifts although I find it a little pricey. They also carry all kinds of beautiful table settings and decorative pieces for the home. I am always tempted but so far have never succumbed.

As writers or aspiring writers, I think you should read this blog by a Satimafriend of mine in Australia, Hormones and Reading. Satima Flavell writes about workshops she attended and goes on to describe the subject of these workshops which I found extremely interesting. Finally she refers her readers to a book written by the leader of the workshop which would be useful reading to authors of all nationalities and types. Satima is a writer, editor and reviewer and is very involved in the writing scene in Australia. Do read her current blog, I am sure you will find it helpful.

Here is something different to do with any turkey leftovers you may have. This came from BBC Good Food.

Thai coconut soup with turkey meatballs

By Jennifer Joyce
Serves 2

Lean and thrifty, turkey mince makes a great substitute for chicken in this spicy Asian noodle soupthai-soup
Ingredients
  • ½ small pack coriander, stems chopped, leaves reserved
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 250g turkey mince
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp Thai tom yum or Thai red curry paste
  • 400ml can low-fat coconut milk
  • 500ml chicken or vegetable stock
  • zest and juice 2 limes
  • 300g pack stir-fry vegetables
  • 200g pack cooked egg or rice noodles

 

Method

  1. Put the coriander stems and garlic in a food processor, pulse until finely chopped, add the turkey and 1 tsp of the fish sauce, and blend again. Roll into meatballs about 3cm in diameter.
  2. In a saucepan, heat the tom yum or curry paste with a splash of water for 2-3 mins. Pour in the coconut milk, stock, lime zest and juice, and remaining fish sauce. Bring to a simmer, add the meatballs and cook for 3 mins. Add the vegetables and cook for 5 mins more, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
  3. Add the noodles to warm through just before serving. Season, pour into 2 bowls and top with coriander leaves.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you, pumpkin anything is not anything I like. But now in my later years I like to go to other places for dinner. The whole turkey thing sounds daunting. This year, off to my son's for dinner. We don't do this every year so this is a special invitation. You know the whole divorce thing, who goes where for holidays. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do like pumpkin soup, just not pumpkin used as a dessert. When I cook turkey it's usually a breast which I shove in a cooking bag and it is so easy to do.

    Having emigrated we don't have the who goes where problem.

    ReplyDelete