Thursday, October 31, 2013

Storms, Great White Sharks. Travel League.

From all the reports we got, the storm named St. Jude in England was a bit of a loss although there seem to have been lots of downed trees and there were 5 deaths. Speaking to family in Kent, who are slightly inland although close to the River Medway, it was little more than a whimper. However, my friend who lives right on the coast seems to have had some pretty powerful winds. I am told that, despite the warnings, people were playing in the water on the beaches and at least one youngster got swept out to sea. We used to see that in North Carolina, a hurricane approaching and pBeach Stepseople out there surfing. They have no conception of the power of water especially driven by the winds of a hurricane. I have written before about Matt going down steps on to the beach, during a storm, to take pictures. He was a long way from the water, but suddenly it was all around him in a surge and if he hadn’t been close to the steps and able to grab the rails, it might have been a different story. These are not the actual steps, but very similar.

Just reading an article about white sharks and they have had somelydia-great-white-shark-tracking-map-20131028 problems tagging them in the Atlantic although successful in other waters. However, recently they have been able to tag more and have become very surprised to find sharks coming up into Canadian waters. There is an interesting video of the tagging of one 14 footer which they have named Lydia and which they know to be in Placentia Bay. Apparently not that much is really known about white sharks as yet. The map shows Lydia’s travels since she was tagged.

Today we havPin_Animation1e our Travel League and will be bowling in New Hamburg which is a fair distance away. We meet for lunch and I always used to have a Monte Christo sandwich, however, this year I won’t, they are loaded with calories I have discovered. Even a BLT is bad enough. I have to save room for my doughnut. Only reason I go, as I keep telling everyone, is for the doughnut.

Having used the slow cooker or crock pot the other day I was thinking I don’t use it nearly enough. It really does make life so much easier. Then I received an email from Kraft with slow cooker recipes some of which I certainly intend to try. Here is one which is high on my list. Obviously if you can’t get some of the Kraft ingredients, there are substitutes.

Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers

Kraft Kitchens

This slow-cooker recipe takes just 10 minutes of prep in the morning—so you can come home to a cheesy and tender stuffed pepper dish in the eSlow Cooker Stuffed Peppers recipevening.
4 servings


What You Need

4 medium  bell peppers
1/2 lb.  ground pork
3/4 cup  BULL'S-EYE Original Barbecue Sauce, divided
1 cup  instant white rice, uncooked
1 cup  frozen peas
1/4 lb.  (4 oz.) VELVEETA®, cubed
1/2 cup  water

Make It


CUT tops off peppers; chop tops, then refrigerate for another use. Remove seeds from peppers; discard. Set pepper shells aside.
MIX pork, 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce, the rice and peas; spoon evenly into pepper shells. Top evenly with VELVEETA.
POUR remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce into slow cooker; stir in water. Stand stuffed peppers upright in slow cooker; cover with lid. Cook 5 to 7 hours on LOW (or 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours on HIGH).

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Cooking Know-How
Every time you lift the lid, you lose heat. So, keep the lid on and resist the urge to peek!
Serving Suggestion
Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with your favorite KRAFT Dressing.

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

8 comments:

  1. Lydia has been traveling.
    Never understood the idiots that decide to go surfing when a hurricane is approaching. Like the Coast Guard needs something else to do right then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has.

      You are so right, totally thoughtless apart from anything else.

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a Monte Cristo sandwich in years--they're okay but not my favorite. However stuff peppers rock! I wished my wife liked them so I could make them now and then. Sometimes I'll get the microwaveable frozen variety to eat for lunch--they're not too bad.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a BLT today. You could always make stuffed peppers and freeze them Lee. I think I will try these next week.

      Delete
  3. Slow cookers are great, love mine. Couldn't live without it. Put the food in, forget about it and write, write, write!

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are great, I agree.

    Happy Hallowe'en to you too. I assume you will now stop posting horror stuff for a year or so?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the power of water. Having grown up on Atlantic Ocean beaches, I know the power.
    Love me a Monte Cristo sandwich. Haven't had one in probably 20 years...now I'm craving one. Recipe sounds great...
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to live around water to fully realise its power.

      I didn't have one in the end, bit too heavy on calories. As for their special today, I think it would have been a day's allowance all on it's own.

      Delete