Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fall Weather? Stains. Supper. The Book.

Friday morning we awoke to pretty thick fog. I guess because of all the hot weather we have been having. It has been like summer for the last few days. In the afternoon we had to turn on the a/c again and I was still sweltering because the sun was pouring in the windows. I also changed into shorts and a lighter shirt. Amazing weather really. The first thing we did was head to Vincenzo’s and I found the recommended horseradish and the Kimchi. Bought myself some mascarpone too, the real Italian stuff not the version with various gums in it for preservation. Makes it taste sweet which, I suppose is OK if you want to make a dessert, but for a savoury item, Kimchi stainno thank you. At lunchtime I finished off the Kimchi I bought in NC and splashed my shirt, now I can’t get the spots out. My Oxy Clean didn’t do the trick. I have seen a tip about the juice of spring onions (green onions) but I don’t have any handy. Another shirt I appear to have splashed with bleach (I think that’s what’s given it a couple of yellow blotches anyway) and that won’t remove either. As both shirts are fairly new, I am not a happy camper.

We bought steak for supper tonight so that I can try out the Shrimp Creolehorseradish so keep your fingers crossed for me that I find it really hot and spicy. Meanwhile for Friday night I used some of our recently imported shrimp to make a Camarones a la Criolla or Creole Shrimp which is a favourite of ours. Peeling the shrimp, I was quite surprised at how large they were. We don’t normally buy the larger shrimp as they are generally too expensive. There were certainly a lot of large shrimp in the package I used for supper. It’s a simple enough recipe to do.

Cassa StormSome of you may have heard that there is a new book out called Cassa Storm. I am reading it right now and am about half way through. The promise of the first two books has been continued in the third and this one is definitely very exciting and full of excellent characterisations. I am enjoying it and the only reason I am not reading it right now, I am blogging instead!! The book was written by some Ninja Captain Guitarist who has a noticeable internet presence, in his saner moments he is Alex J. Cavenaugh. Once again Alex, excellent book. I will be sorry to finish it.

I assumed you would like to have the recipe once more, so here it is.

Shrimp Creole

1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepperShrimpCreole2
1/2 cup celery
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 tsp peanut oil
flour for thickening
ground black pepper
2 cup fresh tomatoes or canned tomatoes drained
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 Bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp chili powder (or Tabasco sauce) and/or fresh chillis
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup sherry
1 lb shrimp cleaned and deveined
Parmesan
cooked white rice, basmati for preference

Sauté onions, peppers, celery and garlic in hot oil until tender. Make a roux with a little flour. Add tomatoes, paste, sherry and seasoning. Simmer 45 minutes. Add shrimp and simmer for 10 mins. Just before service add Worcester sauce. Serve over rice and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Servings: 4

Have a great day
Jo_thumb[2]

10 comments:

  1. That shrimp looks fantastic!

    I can almost guarantee that if I am wearing white or pink I am going to spill part of my dinner on myself. I feel your stain pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shrimp creole. I have some friends from New Orleans who make this and its so good. There are many variations and honestly I don't think I've tased the same recipe twice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are right Stephen. This is a recipe I have had for years, it probably is nothing like your friends' recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know you are enjoying it!
    I wear a lot of black shirts so stains don't show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Alex, very much.

      I have been known to splash bleach on my clothes, black won't help there.

      Delete
  5. Hi Jo. Great recipe. I love Kimchi, so am happy we have a lot of Korean restaurants nearby. That stain is a worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup we get to finish the leftovers tonight.

      It is, I have some suggestions so I hope hen I try them one will work.

      Delete
  6. Hi Jo - hate stains! Never really know what I'm doing to sort them out - so usually that's it. The creole shrimp looks delicious .. while I hope that horseradish sauce stood the test of your palate ...

    Cheers .. and glad the mangelwurzels hit the spot with you! Love the name and it seemed so right behind those trailers where the potatoes just went bob bobbing along .. hope your weather stays warmish .. we're still much the same here, I'm glad to say - I do not like the cold! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly Oxy Clean works - do you have that in the UK? But not on this one. Had the horseradish last night. It's not the hottest I have ever had, but it was pretty hot when I took too much.

      I remember a radio programme when I was a youngster which had to do with manglewurzels, don't remember much about it now, but the name stuck with me ever since. Although we are supposed to get some rain the forecast is good and the weather is brilliant.

      Delete