Monday, July 15, 2013

July 14, Rhinos, Baby Watch.

Bastille DayYesterday was Bastille Day or Le Quatorze Juillet in France when the French celebrate the storming of the Bastille prison and the beginning of the French Revolution. It is a date which has stuck in my head ever since I was a schoolgirl learning about this in my history classes. For the French, July 14 is a national celebration, with parades and fireworks, for me, it happens to be the birthdate of a couple of good friends one in the UK and one in South Africa.

This picture horrified and disgusted me. I feel it is one which should be shown worldwide. I am sorry if you don’t like it, I don’t either. Matt thought I shouldn’t post it, but if you are shocked, I’m glad, people need to be shocked and appalled by what is happening.
RhinoThis is a pic of our latest poached rhino. Believe it or not, he was actually still alive when this photo was taken. His nose had been opened, you can see his tongue and both his eyes had also been hacked off. I will be posting a video soon that I am hoping to make the rounds internationally. I know it's not nice to look at, but this is what will fuel your fire to make a difference to our rhinos and conservation. It did that to me.

I find it difficult to believe people can perpetrate such a horror although I am aware that they do. The animal in this picture was left STILL ALIVE and must have been suffering terribly. Bad enough to remove the horn in the first place, but to do that too makes me want to retaliate. I think we should swamp Asian countries with Viagara and maybe that would help. If any of you would share this on your blogs it would be wonderful. As I said, Matt didn’t think I should post this, but I hope it will disturb you enough to help do something about it if only by raising awareness.

Pretty casual for a prospective new dad, Prince William played BRITAIN/polo against his brother Harry in a charity match on Sunday. According to the same article, the British bookies are betting on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. By the time you read this, we will know if it was Sunday or not. This polo match was held at some distance from the hospital but I guess they would have a chopper standing by. He apparently intends to be there for the birth.

I’ve always loved Crème Caramel but had never thought of it, or eaten it, partly frozen. Seems like a good idea. This came from Food and Wine.

Frozen Crème Caramel

Contributed by Amanda Hallowell
  • SERVINGS: 6
To make her crème caramel more refreshing, chef Amanda creme Caramel frozenHallowell serves it partially frozen, like a semifreddo.

custard

  1. 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
  2. 3/4 cup milk
  3. 1/2 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
  4. 3 large yolks
  5. 1 large egg
  6. 1/2 cup sugar
  7. Pinch of salt

caramel

  1. 2/3 cup sugar
  2. 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons water
  3. Whipped cream, for serving (optional)
  1. MAKE THE CUSTARD In a small saucepan, combine the cream, milk and vanilla bean and seeds. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat, then cover and remove from the heat. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the bean.
  2. Preheat the oven to 300°. Fill a large bowl with ice water. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the egg, sugar and salt. Slowly whisk in the cream mixture. Set the bowl in the ice bath and let stand, stirring the custard occasionally, until chilled, about 20 minutes.
  3. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE CARAMEL Arrange six 4-ounce ramekins in a large baking dish. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and the 1/4 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderate heat, washing down the side of the pan with a wet pastry brush, until a light amber caramel forms, 15 minutes. Carefully stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons of water and simmer until the caramel is dissolved. Pour the caramel into the ramekins, swirling to coat the bottoms evenly. Let the caramel cool for 15 minutes.
  4. Fill the ramekins with the chilled custard. Carefully pour enough hot water into the baking dish to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes, until the custards are almost set but still slightly jiggly in the center. Remove the foil and let the custards cool to room temperature in the water in the pan, 30 minutes. Wrap the ramekins in plastic and refrigerate until the custards are thoroughly chilled, at least 6 hours or overnight.
  5. Freeze the chilled crème caramels for at least 4 hours or overnight.
  6. Thirty minutes before serving, take the crème caramels out and let stand at room temperature until just slightly frozen in the center. Run a thin knife around the crème caramels and invert them onto plates. Serve with whipped cream.
Make Ahead The crème caramels can be frozen for up to 1 week.

Have a great day.

10 comments:

  1. That stuff makes me sick. Animal cruelty is disgusting. And I think anyone who would hurt an animal like that is capable of hurting a person, too. Maybe someone should cut off their 'horns.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, hubby said they should have a leg cut off and left.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely disgusting thing to do. I had not seen this anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like animal parts really do anything for you. What a waste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a waste, but it's the extreme cruelty which gets me Alex.

      That's why I say shower Asia with Viagara.

      Delete
  4. I don't have a problem at all with this picture. Shoot poachers on site. Amazing so much of the world's population still believe there are magical powers associated with horns and.tusks and shark fins.

    Sharks are caught and the fins cut off and then thrown back into the ocean still alive. Of course the shaks drown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Matt is more vindictive, he wants them to suffer for their cruelty. Yes I did know about shark fins, and I agree that is another practice which is horrifying. Any kind of preying on exotic animals selling them whole or in parts is pretty terrible and I will do my poor best to help stop it.

      Delete
  5. omg. It makes me sick to see this poor little guy. I can handle a lot of things and maintain but people being cruel to animals like this? I don't maintain well. It creates a surge of violence in me towards those to perpetuate these acts. I'm with Steve. Shoot the poachers on sight. Ugh!

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it dreadful Sia? They are shooting some poachers when they catch them, but catching them seems to be very difficult, when you consider the vast areas of territory it is not surprising.

      Delete