Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Soups, Ontario Amethyst, End of Asparagus.

I have been making lots of soups over the last few days, so many in fact that I had to get Matt to pick me up some more freezer containers. One of my original ones actually split. Tomato SoupGuess it must have been getting old and when the soup froze it didn’t resist enough, luckily it was good and solid so I just wrapped it in foil and plastic. Usually the soup expands upwards. Asparagus season is running down so I want to make another batch of asparagus soup – I make it for the freezer and then we keep eating it LOL. I also want to make some Asparagus Pesto which we both enjoy as a snack now and again. Just in case you don’t remember the recipe I will post it again tomorrow. It really is a great recipe and can be frozen very successfully.

Sia having talked about amethysts yesterday I decided I had better wear one of Amethyst 001mine so I fished it out. Then I tried to take a photo of it, almost impossible to get a clear, unblurred photo. Matt says its out of focus. Anyway, maybe you can get an idea of my ring from this picture. It is quite a large stone set in silver. I bought it from a work colleague, many years ago, he was into making jewellery and I couldn’t resist this ring I liked it so much. He had another set in gold but that was a but much for my pocket at that time. I also  have a smaller ring Amethyst pendantand some earrings which Matt bought me in Northern Ontario at the Amethyst Mine in Thunder Bay, which we visited many years ago. I loved that place. The mine itself goes underneath the lake and you used to be able to do a bit of mining yourself – for a fee of course. We had a largish lump which we kept in one of our aquariums for years. I have no idea what happened to it. I have just discovered that the Amethyst is Ontario’s official stone, I didn’t know that. The pendant is much more like the colour of my stone, you can see what a lousy picture it is. Not sure why I can’t take pictures of that colour, it was the same when I was trying to photograph my bowling bag and balls, they came out blue.

After bowling (mediocre) we went over to Barrie’s Asparagus farm and I bought a raspberriesdouble whack of asparagus as this is the last I will be able to get this year. Picture me weeping. In fact, I bought about 7 lbs. but as I need at least 2 and for soup, plus another pound or so to make Pesto, it won’t leave me a lot for stuffing down my gullet LOL. They were selling raspberries yesterday, so I bought a punnet and we had them for supper, they were delicious. I want to check on a more local farm which sells strawberries. Barrie’s is a long way to go when there are places closer.

As you know, I am always on the lookout for different ways to serve vegetables. I get tired of the same ‘ol same ‘ol.  I came across this one from Web MD so had to share it with you. I love satay sauces but had never thought of using them for veg.

Vegetable Satay

WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com

Although usually made with strips of chicken or beef, this Indonesian-style satay vegetable_sataycan be made with fresh broccoli and cauliflower florets. Hot Madras curry has a bit of a kick; use regular curry powder if you just want the flavor of curry but not the heat. To save time, look for broccoli and cauliflower already cut into florets in the produce section or at the salad bar of your supermarket.

Servings: 12

Yield: 1 dozen skewers

Recipe Ingredients:

  1. 24 broccoli florets, (about 10 ounces)
  2. 24 cauliflower florets (about 10 ounces)
  3. 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
  4. 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  5. 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  6. 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger, or ginger juice
  7. 1 tablespoon smooth natural peanut butter
  8. 1 clove garlic, minced
  9. 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
  10. 1/4 teaspoon salt
Recipe Steps:
  1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain; rinse under cool water.
  2. Whisk soy sauce, vinegar, oil, ginger (or ginger juice), peanut butter, garlic, curry and salt in a large bowl until smooth. Add the florets; gently toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours or cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
  3. To serve, thread 2 broccoli and 2 cauliflower florets onto each skewer. (Reserve marinade.) Arrange the skewers on a platter in a single layer and drizzle with the marinade.

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. That does sound good.
    My wife often makes soups and puts the extra in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this time of year, with all the fresh asparagus, I make a lot of asparagus soup just for the freezer. Same with tomato soup because I add fresh basil to my recipe and that is best in the summer - we grow herbs on our balcony. I'm a bit of a soup junkie I guess, hubby says he fully expects to be served grass soup one of these days, LOL

      Delete