Monday, March 26, 2012

Jaan Pehechaan Ho, Dinner Party, Bowling.

I have been wondering for a while about a Heineken beer commercial which plays on our TVs, there is a song in it which I really like. Turns out, after a little research it is Hindi and is Jaan Pehechaan Ho which apparently means “to be known”. I found a video of a dance to this song, somewhat odd choreography but the music itself really appeals to me. It makes me want to dance. You may not like it, I don’t think Matt does.

Dinner on Saturday night seemed to work very well although one of our friends was unable to make it at the last minute due to a migraine. Horrible things. Luckily one seems to grow out of them. My mother did and I have done so too. For starters we served Convent Eggs which we are particularly fond of and then Cold Quinoa Salad for the main course. All plates were emptied so that is a good sign.

I wonder how bowling will go today, I would like to think I would do as well as Cheshire CatFriday, but doubt I will be that lucky. I decided to use the disappearing cat instead of my usual bowling pictures. I always think of this as a Cheshire cat although I think it’s the one from Alice in Wonderland. Having been born in Cheshire, I identify with it. That reminds me, I came across an interview with Satima (Satima’s Blogspot) which I had completely forgotten about and have now posted a link in the information section about me on the right. This happened in 2009 and it had slipped my mind. I was quite interested to read what I had said LOL.

I am delighted to report that my meringues turned out beautifully. I usually Meringues 001don’t have a lot of success with them, so I am patting myself on the back. The three flowers turned out OK too although I got a bit too much egg white on them I think. I must get myself a suitable brush to do that again. One can crystallise many flowers, but I don’t see the point of doing one’s you can’t eat. For the dessert on Saturday I did a Ginger Pudding which was quite different from any I had seen before, I have no idea where I got the recipe, but I have since seen a version of it on another blog. Sadly when I unmoulded the dessert it didn’t keep its shape so I ended up putting it in individual dishes. As I only had the three flowers, I had to halve a couple of them. I served the meringues at the same time. However, the dessert was delicious just the same.

Ginger Pudding

3 cups milk, dividedGinger Pudding
1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
2/3 cup sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
dash of salt
3 large egg yolks
1 Tbs butter
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Combine 2 1/2 cups milk and ginger in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.

2. Combine 1/2 cup milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, and egg yolks in a medium bowl, and stir with a whisk until well-blended. Gradually stir one-fourth of the hot milk mixture into egg mixture; add to remaining milk mixture, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook 1 minute or until thick and creamy, stirring constantly. Remove mixture from heat; stir in butter, rind, and vanilla. Pour into a bowl; cover surface of the pudding with plastic wrap. Chill.

Servings: 6

Have a great day

Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment