Saturday, February 4, 2012

Birthday, Authors, Pensions

Today is Matt’s birthday. We have friends coming over to join us for dinner this evening.

I was sorry to learn from an email from Brandon Sanderson that the last book in the Wheel of Time series will not be coming out any time soon, the earliest would be NoveBrandon Sandersonmber and even that is only a guesstimate I understand. At this rate Brandon Sanderson will be popping off his clogs as well as Robert Jordan (I’m joking, he’s only 37). It appears he is spending a lot of time travelling the world this year which means, to me, he can’t be writing or re-writing etc. I am very envious of one of my Australian friends, she is going to one of the conventions (known as cons) at which Brandon Sanderson will be present. Maybe she will get to meet him. I want, I want. Mind you I would love to meet, or have met, lots of my favourite authors, some of whom are no longer with us of course, Isaac Asimov and Anne McCaffery come to mind. Glenda Larke, who is very much alive, is another person I would like to meet – once in a blue moon she comes to the States; she is moving back to Oz and I can’t see me ever getting to Oz so I just have to hope she comes this way again.

This was on Facebook yesterday, I loved it.

Wine Drinking

Reading more about revisions to the Old Age Security in Canada, it appears they might do something to reduce the Guaranteed Income Supplements which assist people who are not entitled to the full pension for one reason or another. Guess what, we come under that heading. Needless to say I have my fingers crossed. It is a fact that there are more people becoming pensioners and less people working to provide tax money to pay for such pensions.

No more from me now. Apparently one of my computers has picked up a virus and is sending emails to everyone on my mailing list.

We tried this dish Thursday night, it was from Mushrooms Canada. We both enjoyed it very much. We didn’t have a salad or bread with it, and found it was plenty to eat for us.

Mushroom, Tomato and Basil Ragout

Serve a green salad and crusty bread with this one-pot vegetarian dish - perfect for a fast meal or as a side dish with grilled meat or fish. Orzo is tiny rice shaped pasta.
Mushroom, Tomato and Basil Ragout

Ingredients

1 leek

1 2 tbsp olive oil

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 lb. small fresh mushrooms, halved

1 can Italian flavoured tomatoes* (28oz/796 mL)

1 cup water

2/3 cup Orzo pasta

1/2 cup Fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced

Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish: grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Method

Slice off and discard the dark green tops and roots of leek. Cut in half lengthwise and rinse under water to remove any grit; thinly slice. In a large, deep skillet or saucepan heat the oil over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes or until the leek begins to soften. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon, water and orzo. Bring to boil, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 -15 minutes or until the orzo is tender and it has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Pass the cheese to sprinkle on top if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 4 main course servings

* Substitute stewed tomatoes or Herb and Spice flavoured tomatoes for the Italian flavoured tomatoes and add 1tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning with the tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment