Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Kindle, Broadcast, Printing Cheques.

Yesterday I was offered two free audio books,  by Audible Books, for my Kindle, so needless to say, I accepted and downloaded the first Wheel of Time (Robert Jordan) book – Eye of the World, and theStormfront first Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) book – Stormfront. It appears I can join this audio service after a month’s free trial for $14.95 a month. I don’t think the books themselves are very cheap so I am not sure I will be in the market for more. I was also disappointed to discover that neither of the sets of earphones I have work with my Kindle so if I listen so does everyone else in range. Later I checked out the available books and there aren’t a whole heck of a lot of books I would want to buy anyway.

This morning I am doing my very short radio Roast Pork w Apple & Nut Stuffingbroadcast with a recipe from a book which is over 40 years old, but contains some fabulous recipes. I still have my mother’s cookbook which is 76 years old. I will post the recipe tomorrow although it will be on the CKWR website Midday with RJ if you want to check it out there before tomorrow. Here is a picture to stimulate your interest. I have actually published this recipe before, but some year's ago. It is from Readers Digest’s Cookery Year.

For something like 11 or 12 years we have been writing out 12 rent cheques for our realtor because they haven’t set up automatic deposit with their bank. They are not, unfortunately, very computer savvy and even the individual accounts done by the super’s wife have to be done in a book. This would drive me nuts, let alone the pain of writing 12 rent cheques every year. So, think I, what about pquickenrinted cheques for my computer. Having checked with both Quicken and my bank’s cheque supplier, I discover the price is about $130 for roughly 250 cheques which would last me about 20 years, but even so, I don’t think it would be worth my while. Pity. It may not sound like much, but it really is a pain to have to write them out year after year. Having written this, I did some more searching and found ASAP cheques, I have ordered 100 for $30 which is great. I can print them with my Quicken software and my HP printer.

Hallowe’en is on its way, some people may ignore it, some people may buy candies in the stores, and some people may want to prepare goodies. If you are one of the latter, here are some cute cupcakes for you to try. Don’t forget me, they look good!!!!

Mummy Cupcakes
Kraft KitchensMummy-Cupcakes-51857

Makes 24 cupcakes

What You Need
1 pkg. (2-layer size) chocolate cake mix
14 OREO Cookies, coarsely chopped
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) JELL-O Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding
1 cup milk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 cups thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
48 semi-sweet chocolate chips, for eyes

Make It

HEAT oven to 350°F.
PREPARE cake batter as directed on package; stir in cookies. Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans 10 min.; remove to wire racks. Cool completely.
BEAT pudding mix, milk and sugar in large bowl with whisk 2 min. Stir in COOL WHIP. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with basket-weave tip.
PIPE pudding mixture onto tops of cupcakes. Add chocolate chips for the eyes. Keep refrigerated.

Kraft Kitchens Tips

Make Ahead
Decorated cupcakes can be stored in refrigerator up to 8 hours before serving.

If You Don't Have a Piping Bag
Fill a resealable plastic food storage bag with pudding mixture; seal bag. Cut corner off bottom of bag, then squeeze pudding mixture from bag onto cupcakes.

Have a great day
Jo

1 comment:

  1. cant wait to cheque these cupcakes out! my daughter will love them for sure.

    ReplyDelete