Monday, May 30, 2011

Tournament, Eating Meat.

This blog has been written over the weekend as we had to leave home early My Ballthis morning to take part in the Seniors Summer League bowling which this year is taking place in Elmira, about 30 minutes away from us. Wish us luck. There are five on the team.  Having finished that we have to rush back to Waterloo for our regular summer league bowling. I think I will be whacked out by the time today is finished.

Sadly our dinner party didn’t happen on Saturday as one of our friends was sick. As Matt had been interrupted last time I made it (he had a TIA) I decided to do another Steak Diane which, once again, was very good. However, next time we have steak, I think it will be a Steak au Poivre for a change.

On Saturday I meant to write about Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook fame (co founder), they were talking on the news about his new resolution never to eat anything he hadn’t killed himself. I am somewhat boiling lobstersupportive of this although I could never kill anything myself. I am assured that if I were starving, I could kill anything, but one is unable to imagine it and most of us try to forget about how our pork chops or beef steaks get to our stores, its something we don’t like to think about so we push it to the back of our minds. So good on yer Mark, wish I had the guts. He has already killed a chicken, pig and goat. He started by killing a lobster (dropping it in boiling water) - must admit I have done that, not the most pleasant experience. He says it has taught him a lot about sustainable farming and healthy eating. If you are interested there is an article from the Calgary Herald here http://tinyurl.com/3he65ub

Of course it is Memorial Day in the States today so on the golf course for the PGA Byron Nelson tournamentGolfing Marine this weekend they were flying the Stars and Stripes on the pin of the 18th hole and had a Marine standing there to remove the pin every time players got to the green to putt.

Asparagus season is well under way but I haven’t been posting lots of recipes as I understand some of my readers are not so keen on asparagus. If you have been reading this blog for long, you will know I love the stuff and I couldn’t resist this recipe when I came across it.

Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus

From EatingWell: March/April 2009

These prosciutto-wrapped bundles of grilled asparagus are a delicious addition to a spring brunch or elegant dinner.

4 servings Asparagas Proscuitto Wrapped

Ingredients
  • 16 spears asparagus, (about 1 bunch), trimmed
  • 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Pinch of salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 2 very thin slices prosciutto, (about 1 ounce), cut in half lengthwise
Preparation
  1. Preheat grill to medium.
  2. Toss asparagus with oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Wrap 1 length of prosciutto around the middle of 4 asparagus spears. Repeat, making 4 bundles. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the asparagus bundles, turning once or twice, until the asparagus is tender and charred in spots, about 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
  • Tip: To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)

Have a great day.

Jo

2 comments:

  1. It is also a bank holiday in the UK. It looks as the UK and the US coordinate their public holidays.

    The recipe looks like it's another nice dish, Jo.

    Hope it goes well with your tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually we are coordinated with them too, usually, not sure why this year we had our holiday last week and they have theirs this week. Just the way the calendar works out I guess.

    Will write about the tournament tomorrow, thangs for the good wishes.

    ReplyDelete