Monday, December 6, 2010

Books, Christmas Trees, Atheism,

I have just finished Faceless Killers by Henning Mankel which is part of the Wallender series of books. They are crime stories set in Sweden – recommended by the English food writer Andy Hayler – and although I found Kurt Wallander something of an anti hero, I enjoyed the story and have ordered the next one from the library. Then Saturday night I started The Snow Globe by Sheila Roberts a cute story about Christmas miracles for three close friends, one of whom buys a snow globe which is reported to help those in need. It didn’t take me long to read it, but I did enjoy the stories.

We finally got round to putting up our Christmas decorations on Sunday. Oddly enough, we started thinking about Christmas Trees and neither of us remember having trees when we were little. Matt says he only remembers one tree and I don’t remember trees at all until I was somewhat older. I don’t know if that is a lack in oChristmas Treeur memories or whether we just didn’t have Christmas Trees in those days, it is, after all, originally a German tradition. I heard on TV that you can buy a live Christmas Tree online through places like Amazon.com They are touting the convenience of having a tree delivered to your door and not having to go out and choose one. As Matt and I have had an artificial tree for years, this doesn’t make much difference to us, but they mentioned a price of $900 for live trees. If you pay that much, you are, in my opinion, nuts.

I also heard a report about billboard signs appearing in the States promoting atheism which is angering some people. I don’t think it is necessary to do such a thing – you don’t have to believe if you don’t want atheist_billboard_oneto, but don’t try and convert others. This cuts both ways of course. One of the protests is because the ads are appearing during this holiday season, but in all honesty, how many people really remember what this holiday is truly about. As everyone knows, its more about commerce and presents together with feasting to excess and less about remembering the birth of Jesus, so, does it really matter what time of the year these ads appear. To read all about it go to http://tinyurl.com/26zu8sn The American Humanist Association is behind these ads and they are saying that atheists and agnostics are afraid to come out of the closet in the religiously oppressive society of America. I don’t know how true this is, but I know atheists and agnostics from the UK who don’t hesitate to mention the fact.

Oops I nearly forgot to grouse about what a lousy weekend I have had with my cold. I am not a good patient.

Eating Well is talking breakfasts to beat holiday weight gain. I must admit this one appealed to me and what could be easier or quicker. I wonder if Nutella will suffice for the nut butter?

Bagel Gone Bananas

From EatingWell: September/October 2010

Talk about a grab-and-go breakfast: this bagel topped with nut butter and banana slices is ready in just 5 minutes and easy to eat on the run.

2 servings, 1/2 bagel each

IngredientsBagel Gone Bananas

2 tablespoons natural nut butter, such as almond, cashew or peanut

1 teaspoon honey

Pinch of salt

1 whole-wheat bagel, split and toasted

1 small banana, sliced

Preparation
  1. Stir together nut butter, honey and salt in a small bowl. Divide the mixture between bagel halves and top with banana slices.
Nutrition

Per serving : 284 Calories; 10 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 6 g Mono; 0 mg Cholesterol; 44 g Carbohydrates; 8 g Protein; 6 g Fiber; 369 mg Sodium; 301 mg Potassium

2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 2 fat

Have a great day

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Let those who want to believe, believe; let those who do not want to believe, alone. But show respect for the other one's views. This is what I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your. Each to their own.

    ReplyDelete