Saturday, October 23, 2010

New Bra?, Tortilla and Piri-Piri.

victorias-secret-diamond-braNeed new bras? Victoria’s Secret have just launched this year’s $5 million bra – their jewel encrusted Fantasy Bra. They have one every year, apparently last year’s was covered in champagne diamonds but they are not being bought so they are talking about selling them for charity. This year I think its also diamonds and sapphires, I think, but I can’t find any details. I told Matt I needed new bras, but he doesn’t think I should have one like this!!! Mind you it seems they make more fuss about the model than the bra.

The other day someone described eating a Tortilla des Patatas which a Spanish woman used to make for her all the time. Made me hungry, we haven’t had one for years. Decided to make it for supper on Friday night, it was delicious. This is basically an egg dish, bit like a frittata. I will post the recipe on Monday.

I was going to post this recipe yesterday as I loved Piri-Piri when I was in Portugal, I had it at one particular restaurant where we sat outside to eat. We had made friends with a retired English guy who promoted the restaurant by handing out flyers. When I got my dish of piri-piri I said I didn’t think it was that hot (spicy) so he went into the restaurant and got me extra sauce, whooo, was that ever hot. I didn’t eat a whole lot of it, but it improved the dish 100% by just adding a small amount. Then I realised the recipe calls for a spatchcocked chicken and I wasn’t sure who would know how to do that and I didn’t have time to research. If you go to http://tinyurl.com/ylbtylp it shows exactly how to spatchcock. I’m not sure whether adding chips is a Portuguese recommendation or an English one, there seems to be a habit in the UK of having chips with everything.

Piri-Piri Chicken

Source: BBC Food - Anthony Worrall Thompson

Ingredients

1 whole chicken (about 1kg/2lb 3oz), spiripirichickenpatchcocked salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the piri-piri sauce
6-12 fresh red chillies, depending on how hot you want it
1 tbsp garlic, blanched and chopped\1 tsp salt flakes
½ tsp oregano
½ tbsp paprika
100ml/3½fl oz olive oil
50ml/1¾fl oz red wine vinegar
To serve
chips
salad

Preparation method

  1. To make the piri-piri sauce, preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Place the chillies on a roasting tray and roast them for 10 minutes.

  2. Cool and roughly chop the chillies. Place the chillies, garlic, salt, oregano, paprika, olive oil and vinegar in a saucepan, and simmer for 2-3 minutes.

  3. Allow the mixture to cool, then blend it to a purée in a jug blender or food processor. Store in a lidded container at room temperature; it will keep for about a month. Shake before using.

  4. Place the spatchcocked chicken in a sealable plastic bag. Add half the piri-piri sauce, spreading it evenly over the chicken. Seal and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

    Technique: Spatchcocking chicken and poultry

  5. Preheat the oven to 200C/390F/Gas 6, and preheat a large griddle pan on the hob. Alternatively, light your barbecue.

  6. Season the marinated chicken, and cook it on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.

  7. Transfer the griddled chicken to a roasting tray and roast in the oven for 30 minutes, until cooked through. Alternatively, place the chicken on a medium heat barbecue, covered, for 10-15 minutes on both sides or until cooked through, basting regularly with the remaining piri-piri sauce.

  8. Serve with chips and salad.

Have a great weekend

Jo

2 comments:

  1. Used to eat Piri Piri often when I still lived in South Africa. Piri Piri ribs used to be nice.

    ReplyDelete