Saturday, March 7, 2009

Gershwin Award, Nuclear Medicine, Books

Last night we watched the Public Television broadcast of the first Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song which was awarded to Paul Simon in 2007. They talked of his incredible body of work for close on 50 years. He was singing and playing and towards the end Art Garfunkel joined him for Bridge Over Troubled Waters. Amazingly they can still put on a very good performance although they are no longer spring chickens. This year the prize was apparently awarded to Stevie Wonder. The injection they gave me yesterday was radioactive and if I had intended to travel outside Canada I would have needed a paper to allow me to pass me through the customs checks etc. I had pictures taken of my whole body (the pain is in my left hip, why photograph my head?) and then some extra hip pictures. I checked, the gamma camera equipment cost around $600,000, makes my $200 camera a nothing doesn't it? This picture isn't quite the same set up but almost. The cameras were both above and below me apparently. Took around 30 minutes or a bit longer to take all the shots they wanted. As we were planning to bowl we decided to go to lunch across the road from the hospital to the Galt View restaurant which has been there for over 30 years to our knowledge. Its a very good business, they attract so many people toing and froing from the hospital. I was surprised to learn the present owners haven't been there long, about 6 years and they didn't actually know how long the restaurant had been there. We then went to Waterloo Lanes where I bowled really well, quite well and moderately well. Matt had one excellent game too. He had one excellent game last week as well. I have just discovered there is a new J.D. Robb book out called Promises in Death so have reserved it at the library. It will take forever by the look of it. Very popular series. Another series I enjoy is Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and the latest one of these is called Turn Coat so that too is on order. Gone are the days when I can afford to buy every book I wish to read. The way I devour books it would cost a fortune anyway. At the moment I am working my way though Jennifer Fallon novels which I am enjoying. Browsing the Microwave Magic Book I came across another recipe I once prepared, again, a few years ago. I just might make this tonight. I do recall I found the peanuts a bit too much as they were so hard and I might substitute a different nut this time. I think this recipe is a nod to Thai cooking. Hot and Spicy Chicken with Peanuts 2 Tbs light soy sauce 3 Tbs dry sherry 1 tsp cornstarch 1 tsp sesame oil 2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and cut into 1 inch pieces 3/4 cup raw shelled, hulled peanuts 4 Tbs vegetable oil 2 cloves garlic, finely minced 2 thin slices fresh ginger, pared and finely minced 1 to 3 dried red chillies, halved and seeded (number of chillies depends on taste) 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut in chunks 1 large red pepper (optional) cored, seeded and cut in chunks 3 scallions (green and white parts), cut diagonally into 1/2" lengths (here I made a note - could use Leeks) Chicken broth (optional) 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbs water (optional) Combine soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir until cornstarch is dissolved. Mix chicken with marinade and let sit at least 30 minutes. Please peanuts in a 2 cup glass measure. Add 2 Tbs of the vegetable oil and stir to coat. Cook on high (600-700 watts) 1 minute. Set aside Place 3 remaining Tbs vegetable oil in a shallow oval au gratin dish or round baking dish. Heat on high (600-700 watts) 1 minute. Stir in chicken and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, dried chillies, green and red peppers, and scallions. Cover with microwave paper towel. Continue to cook until chicken is tender, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add peanuts at first stirring. If more liquid is desired, add small amounts of chicken broth. For a thicker sauce, add cornstarch-water mixture to dish, cooking 1 minute longer. Serve immediately. Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jo !
    Well i hope the picture will be usefull ^^

    Spicy chicken with peanuts: miam! that is a very good idea ! I've tried a recipie thai of a duck with peanuts i like a lot and sate spicy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very fond of sates Gynie, not eaten a lot of Thai food, but what I have eaten I have enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon and Garfunkel: I wonder how they will do should they set out on another series of concerts. I always liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they were a good group. Don't think they plan to get together again, just for that one concert a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete