Friday, March 20, 2009

Song, Mediterranean Travels

For many years I identified with this song, not all the words, but because the one verse says:

Oh I've been to Nice And the Isles of Greece While I sipped champagne on a yacht I moved liked Harlow in Monte Carlo And showed 'em what I've got

I heard this on the radio yesterday morning and it made me think of the times I did spend in the Mediterranean on my parent's yacht. I used to spend my vacations with them - they were based in Malta and I would join them either there or wherever else they happened to be. Well here's a not very clear photo of me sipping champagne on a yacht with one of the Greek Islands in the background. I'm afraid I don't remember which one. The reason we were drinking bubbly was either my mother's birthday, August, or mine in September.

Here's a clearer one, ready to go ashore for dinner - looking at the surrounding photos, I think this must have been in Corfu. One year we sailed from Athens through the Gulf of Corinth and out the other side as it were. Visiting all kinds of towns and villages on the way, not the least of which was Delphi, one of the homes of the gods. The next photo is definitely in Corfu as I recognise the bay where Pamara (our yacht) is moored. For those of you who haven't been reading this blog for very long, my parents lived on a boat from shortly after World War II and when he retired, my father sailed to Malta to live. I spent my teen years living on a boat and being dragged all over the place in all kinds of weather. Originally my mother and I spent most of our trips lying on our bunks feeling sorry for ourselves. Eventually we got more used to it - on a five hour trip I used to tell myself 'its not worth getting sick'. However, I loved it when we arrived wherever it was, be it France, The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway and later various ports of call in the Mediterranean. Like I said, I have been to Nice and the Isles of Greece. When I think now of those leisurely days in the Mediterranean sun, I am wallowing in nostalgia. We picked up a current copy of Food and Drink from the liquor store this week and with it came a little pamphlet about beef. I thought this ground beef recipe would appeal.

Asian Beef Bites with Speedy Slaw Source Canadian Beef

Kids love ground beef, especially when served as these brochette-style Beef Bites with plum sauce for dipping and some crunchy slaw on the side. Or if you'd rather, serve as burgers with slaw as a topper. Make the slaw first to allow time for flavours to blend.

1 lb Extra Lean ground beef sirloin 1/4 cup wheat germ 2 green onions, thinly sliced 2 Tbs soy sauce 1 Tbs finely grated gingerroot 1 egg lightly beaten 1/4 tsp pepper Speedy slaw (recipe follows)

Lightly combine beef, wheat germ, onions, soy sauce, gingerroot, egg and pepper. Gently for into about 30 1 inch meatballs.

Bake on lightly oiled foil-lined baking tray in 400°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until internal temp is 160°F.

Thread 3 or 4 meatballs on each skewer and serve with speedy slaw. Makes about 7 servings.

Speedy Slaw

Whisk together 1/4 cup each rice vinegar and granulated sugar, 2 Tbs vegetable oil, 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard and 1 tsp sesame oil. Toss with half a bag coleslaw salad mix, 1 green onion and 1/2 cup each snow peas (halved lengththwise), canned, sliced water chestnuts (drained and halved) and roasted shelled peanuts (optional). Can be made up to a day in advance. Makes about 4 cups.

By the way, that damned song is stuck in my head now. Grrrrrr.

Have a great day.

4 comments:

  1. you look like a star on the pictures ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo - I agree with Gynie.

    Well, memories maketh man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marilyn, I should look so good these days LOL

    ReplyDelete