Monday, January 26, 2009

TV Ads, TV Movies,

Watching TV this weekend, I decided that nothing is sacred any more. They were advertising his and her KY Jelly and ExtenZe for increased sexual gratification. Some of this during movies with Parental Guidance classifications. I suppose if you are allowed to watch a PG movie you are considered old enough for the other stuff. When I was younger, anyone who advertised a bra in a magazine was looked at askance - how things have changed. Talking of TV, we watched The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) with Sir Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins and William Holden. Its still a good movie although the TV ads were breaking it up very badly and making it very slow going. Alec Guinness in particular was brilliant in the part. Jack Hawkins I always loved. Unfortunately both he and William Holden are no longer with us. Some of it I remembered, a lot of it I had forgotten. It is many years since I saw that movie and I only ever saw it the one time. We have a channel called Turner Classic Movies which shows nothing but old films, some of which are great to see once again, or to see for the first time. I had never seen Casablanca until quite recently. This is a recipe which was part of a Campbell's Soup ad in Food and Drink which I liked the sound of. I personally would probably add some salt to this recipe but obviously it is a matter of preference. Coarse Carrot and Ginger Soup 2 cups coarsely chopped carrot 3/4 cup each coarsely chopped onion and potato 1 tbs butter 1 carton Campbell's Chicken Broth 1 1/2 tbs minced fresh ginger root 1/8 tsp ground black pepper 1 tbs chopped fresh cilantro Cook and stir carrots, onion and potato in heated butter in large saucepan over medium heat until vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes Stir in broth, ginger and black pepper. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook at a gentle boil for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat Blend mixture in saucepan to desired smoothness with a hand blender. Return soup to heat, stir in cilantro and heat mixture through.

2 comments:

  1. I guess our age is showing, Jo. I would find ads for sexual aids quite distasteful. Heck, I even find some underwear ads distasteful: those showing men with either huge erections or a lot of padding, for example.

    The ones I hate the most, though, are those that manipulate children, such as fast food commercials; or those that sexualise them, as some clothing ads do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't remember seeing kids ads in that sense Satima, but then I don't pay much attention not being involved with children in any way. I should check them out in future, I agree, it would be very inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete