Monday, November 3, 2008

One More Day, The Green Mile, Dinner

Tomorrow night it will be all over bar shouting. I am so pleased. I didn't realise til the weekend that this has been going on for 21 months, not a year as I so blithely believed. No wonder we are fed up with the campaigning. We caught an Obama ad this morning, if he could achieve what he promises, he will be a brilliant president, but wait for the excuses - I can't do this because... He says he is going to end the war in Iraq, responsibly, to pay for all his new tax cuts, etc. Pipe dreams. We have been told that their polling booths work wonderfully for small numbers, but they are expecting a massive turn out which might mean lots of problems. Good luck America. Last night we watched The Green Mile with Tom Hanks and Michael Clark Duncan as John Coffey. We have seen it before, but decided to watch it again, what a wonderful movie it is. James Cromwell was in it and I will never see him without thinking of the movie Babe where he played the farmer "that'll do pig". We didn't realise the movie went on so late, obviously the ads extend it considerably, but it didn't finish til about 12:30 a.m. so I didn't get all my beauty sleep. Mind you I spent most of yesterday asleep anyway, Saturday evening, when we had dinner guests I started a migraine, began a sore throat and finally woke at 3 a.m. with an allergy. I took anti-histamines which proceeded to knock me out. However, I am better today. I always get worried with a sore throat as I have a tendency to get a lot more problems once I have begun with the throat. This time it didn't happen I am delighted to say. The dinner party went very well however, and I made the Pissaladière which turned out very well except for my oven the timing was wrong and needed to be about 15 minutes instead of 20-25. The pastry was a tad overdone. Matt and I finished it off for lunch yesterday. If you want to check the recipe again, I published it on October 21, this year. After that we had London Broil, the recipe has been posted, but I'm not sure when. I then followed it up with a Turkish Orange Cake, also posted. I am gradually working back through my blogs adding the name of the recipe I post to the Labels. Somewhere or other, one of my guests got the idea there were anchovies in the Pissaladière and as she doesn't eat fish in any shape or form, she was a bit concerned. Not sure where she got that idea from. One thing you will notice, I didn't bother to make a circle. The pastry was bought and didn't allow for a big enough circle according to the recipe so we decided to leave it oblong. Worked fine and looked just as good, tasted even better. I get a little magazine from Kraft called Healthy Living, it is specifically aimed at people with diabetes. I thought I would share one of their recipes which is a bit like a chicken satay. Asian Chicken with Cabbage Slaw Serves 4 1/4 cup Kraft smooth peanut butter 1/4 cup Kraft Signature Asian Sesame Dressing 1 Tbs grated fresh ginger 1 Tbs water 4 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage 1 large carrot shredded 2 green onions sliced Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat peanut butter, dressing, ginger and water in medium bowl with wire whisk until well blended, set aside. Mix cabbages and carrots in a large bowl. Add 1/4 C of the peanut butter mixture; toss and coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Place the chicken in single layer in shallow baking pan; brush with remaining peanut butter mixture. Bake 20 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Cut into strips. Spoon cabbage mixture onto serving platter; top with the chicken and onions. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment