Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympics, China, Volunteering

At 7:00 a.m. on Friday, in Ontario, we will be able to see the Opening Ceremonies in Beijing. We are told they are going to be splendiferous. I plan to be watching them. I imagine most of the actual games will be recorded by the time we get to see it although I remember sitting up til 3 a.m. when I lived in the UK to see events being broadcast from Japan. I hope their beefed up security is going to be sufficient. The happenings just the other day are enough to make one nervous. I see also, China has told Bush to keep his nose out of other country's affairs. Interesting. I wonder how much notice he will take of that. On record he doesn't seem to think it applies to him. Sorry, my American readers, I am not in any way politically minded, but I do NOT like Bush. I can't wait until November to see who next you are going to inflict on the world. The French believe Obama is going to win the election, I am told the French are never wrong. Later in the day on Friday I am doing my first stint at the Canadian Diabetes Foundation. Not sure what I will be doing, probably mostly orientation. So I am writing this blog on Thursday evening as I won't have a lot of time tomorrow. I had an email from Eating Well today and they are giving lots of tomato recipes. As tomatoes are one of my favourites, along with asparagus of course, I thought I would share some of them with you. Tomato, Tuna and Tarragon Salad
From EatingWell MagazineAugust/September 2005

Tomatoes and tuna were meant for each other, and fresh tarragon seals the deal. Soaking the onion in cold water tames the heat and sweetens its taste.

Makes 4 servings

1/2 cup diced red onion 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt Freshly ground pepper to taste 2 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (about 1 cup) 1/4 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh tarragon leaves 8 cups torn lettuce or mixed greens 1 pound small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges

1. Place onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Drain. 2. Whisk mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add tuna, celery, tarragon and onion; stir to combine. Serve on top of the lettuce (or mixed greens) with tomato and lemon wedges.

MAKE AHEAD TIP: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. Have a great day.

7 comments:

  1. Jo -- Sorry to disappoint you. The French are often wrong when it comes to choosing presidents for other countries. They backed Al Gore last time. And then they elected Sarkozy...

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The French are never wrong? As an Englishman, I could not possibly comment ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn I am sure it was you who told me the French always picked the right guy for American President. Maybe I am having a senior moment.

    I didn't say the French were NEVER wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I know many Americans who despise Bush but then who doesn't. Their electoral counting system is badly flawed but then so is Bush. To quote my friend bugs bunny,"what a maroon, what an ultra maroon."

    Anyway I don't know how I missed your shrimps last time, but I can do them gluten free..so I think maybe I will try them someday but for now it is the salad for me.

    Randi-Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol! i'm that is true for the french always choosing their american president !

    today i don't care about china, usa, blablabla i'm on holidays !!
    DRAWING everydays !!

    have a cool day then, about the canadian diabetes foundation ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Randi, I often post recipes for things which are gluten free.

    Gynie, I thought it was Marilyn, not you, oh well, said I was having a senior moment.

    Will write about my volunteering tomorrow. Hope you have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. never mind i'm not bothering you, i'm so upset that i'm going away for a week at least !

    lol !

    ReplyDelete